Okna Starmark DH900 -Gap Issue

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Dimes

Okna Starmark DH900 -Gap Issue

#1 Post by Dimes »

Just had my second batch of Okna windows installed this year. After they were in I noticed there was a lot of movement vertically when holding the top and bottom sash handles and pushing up and down. A lot more so than on the windows I had installed last year. This is when the window is locked closed by the way.
If you push both sash's all the way up, there is about a 5/8ths gap between the bottom of the lower sash and the frame.
I'm having Okna and the dealer out next week to look - but wanted to see what folks here thought before hand.
Here's a picture - thats a regular tube of lip balm I have wedged under the bottom sash.

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/seosamh ... b.jpg.html

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/ ... 8pg7yb.jpg

Hopefully one of these links works.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna Starmark DH900 -Gap Issue

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Links work.

Have your installer come back and check them out.

The Okna windows are not reliant on a compression seal (i.e. the cam locks forcing the sashes up and down respectively) to make their seal and air tightness.

The head jamb where the upper sash shuts into the pocket is sufficiently weatherstripped so that once it is in in the pocket, it has reached its seal. There is a bit of up and down movement that is allowed that once the upper sash is in that head pocket, you can move the sashes up and down (as a locked set) slightly and sill have a good seal.

In these cases, the lower sash should be moved to the full contact position with the sill and that would normally be the case in the standard operation of the window (i.e. shutting the window and locking it).

Dimes

#3 Post by Dimes »

Thanks for that.

So what do you think the options are here? Could Okna provide a thicker Weather stripping on top and bottom sash to negate the movement? Or are we looking at new windows?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Weatherstripping at the head is a pile weatherstripping and not a compression weatherstripping and therefore thicker does not result is tighter interface from top to bottom.

Recommendation 1 is to have them inspected by the installer.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Seems excessive, lettuce know what they say.