PGT windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Rinahen

PGT windows

#1 Post by Rinahen »

We live in Fort Myers Florida … getting ready to order new PGT aluminum windows (700 series)for our 1950s ranch home… impact glass. I now need to decide on the color of glass … i think they have choices of gray, green, clear. I really don't want color at all …just clear, but they say there will be a slight green tint even with clear. What do you recommend for someone that doesn't want color on their windows. Does the clear look good?

Oberon

Re: PGT windows

#2 Post by Oberon »

If you want tinted glass, gray, bronze, green, blue, etc., then you ordering a specialized product. "Normal" glass is clear, not colored.

Impact glass does not noticeably affect the visibility thru your glass versus non-impact glass.

Window glass is normally clear. Window glass also has iron in it which does result in a slight greenish tint if you are looking at the edge of the glass. You will not see green tint when looking out your windows with "clear" glass.

If you add a LowE coating then, depending on the coating, you may see a slight color tint in the glass in the right lighting conditions. Looking out your windows on a dark night with your inside lights on, you will see multiple reflections of your lights in the window, and the LowE coating will look "green" in reflection. Looking out your windows on a bright sunny day, you will almost certainly not notice that the coating is there.

In your environment, a LowE coating is not an option, it is a necessity.

The vast majority of people don't notice the coating at all. In fact it is very common for people to ask how to tell they even have the coating since they expect to be able to see it, and they can't.

TLHWINDOW

#3 Post by TLHWINDOW »

This is interesting. On Topic, clear glass (impact) is very clear and there is fairly no difference between standard glass and impact glass clarity.

Tint will help with some heat rejection and glare.

LowE will help with heat.

Some what off topic: New Florida codes now require new and replacement windows to meet a SHGC of .25 or whole house Energy ratings must be done (this is mainly for new construction).

I have only seen a few Aluminum windows/doors make that, and they are normally thermally broken.

It will also mean you HAVE to go with LowE (SB70 with PGT glass) which means it will be a greenish tint (unless you go with a 240 LowE and then it will be dark grey).

I am interested if you come back to the forum to see what the install company says about that. I haven't heard of a county building department Appealing the new codes yet.

TLHWINDOW

#4 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Wanted to follow up on this for future searches.

If you choose an PGT Aluminum door (Impact), you will need to move to insulated impact glass and LowE SB70. This will give you a SHGC of .25 and U Factor of around .67 I believe. In Zone 1 (South Florida), this would pass code. You won't be able to use clear glass.

Of course I am sure not all contractors are following the law, but that is the code.

Thanks, good luck.