CGI or PGT Aluminum Impact Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Rinahen

CGI or PGT Aluminum Impact Windows

#1 Post by Rinahen »

Which of these two window manufacturers should I go with for replacement in our 1950s home. We are looking for quality, warranties, function, beauty, etc. We will be using grids on our window so am looking for the window that is a tad more streamlined, modern, updated. Any benefits of one over the other. Also, I've heard that annealed impact laminate windows are better over heat strengthened laminate impacts as far as less distortion is concerned. Is this true? And will I have any problem with condensation on my impact windows?

Thank You!
Rina

Windows on Washington

Re: CGI or PGT Aluminum Impact Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The PGT product is well regarded.

If you are going impact rated, they will specify the glass according to code. I think the outer lite is normally tempered but we don't deal in impact much up here.

TLHWINDOW

#3 Post by TLHWINDOW »

CGI is a good but smaller company than PGT. I usually would go with PGT over CGI.

PGT offers a nice warranty and they are big enough to cover any issues that might arise.

PGT is a nice clean window and door, they have a new line out that you may be interested in called the EnergyVue.

As far as glass goes, you only need tempered (heat strength) glass in windows meet specific bathroom codes or door and a few other places if they meet certain code restrictions. I would go with annealed everywhere unless it is a door or bathroom window.

Impact (laminate) windows and doors will be laminated on the interior of the window/door and the outer glass is standard annealed or tempered depending on the location.

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

PGT ownes CGI so PGT will be happy either way you go.

TLHWINDOW

#5 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Bill wrote:PGT ownes CGI so PGT will be happy either way you go.

Man, totally forgot they did that last year. :oops: