Weepholes in an Okna 800 Slider

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AliInBaltimore

Weepholes in an Okna 800 Slider

#1 Post by AliInBaltimore »

My Okna 800 slider has what looks like weepholes in the frame. My Okna double hungs only have "weepholes" where the sloped sill meets the screen. Is this just how sliders are made?

Windows on Washington

Re: Weepholes in an Okna 800 Slider

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sliders are based on a pocket style sill in this case.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

The design of ALL sliders need some sort of pocket type drainage system, you cant use any other design.
All Okna double hung windows are " true welded sloped sills" without any sort of pocket.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

^^^What they said...

You will notice that there are removable inserts that the sashes ride on should you need to clean out those channels.

AliInBaltimore

#5 Post by AliInBaltimore »

So in the future, if I can afford it, I should always opt for a double hung?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

NO.
It depends on the design of the project.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

It depends on the architectural design of the house and dimensions of the opening.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. If there are no other major considerations, a twin double hung would eliminate the pocket sill issue, so it would be preferable from that perspective. That said, there are a lot of other factors that can cause a slider to be a good option despite that issue.

AliInBaltimore

#9 Post by AliInBaltimore »

The OKNA 800 sliders have far too much play in their sashes for our taste. I'm sure the weather stripping prevents any air infiltration, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me. About half the time we have to make sure the other slider sash is shut all the way before we can lock it; the other sash always moves when operating the slider. Just my two cents.

Another thing: The inside and outside sashes of our slider were mistakenly reversed by OKNA. When we received the replacements, the installer removed the previous stops, caulked the holes and drilled holes on the other side to re-install the stops. Does this hurt the U-factor, etc. in any way (e.g., by damaging the foam filling)?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sliders, at least in this case, do no rely on a compression seal for air tightness and sealing. The weatherstripping margins are such that the unit can accommodate a decent bit of movement without allowing unchecked air to get by.

There shouldn't be any issue with or any U-Factor downgrade.

AliInBaltimore

#11 Post by AliInBaltimore »

Glad to know air infiltration will not be an issue. Unfortunately, usability is still a huge issue for us. I would never purchase OKNA sliders again. *I* know that the other sash moves and make sure to push it in before locking. But when guests go to lock the sliders, since the lock "mechanisms" usually don't align, sometimes the window will stay unlocked even though it looks locked, while other times the locking parts scrape against each other until they align. On our smaller slider, which has only one lock, is very frustrating. Bad design in my opinion.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

A good salty old window installer has to be part master mechanic, engineer, problem solving "Winston Wolf from Pulp Fiction," and lastly a brilliant magician at times to get windows and doors acceptable for us to get paid on projects. Sometimes when I see some of the stuff shipped to me I feel like "how in the world am I going to make this work?" I've not seen a factory mulled DH twin or triple unit mulled correctly with the weld flash removed and mulled with bottom top level alignment from any manufacturer (vinyl). Our craft shouldn't be this hard.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

AliInBaltimore wrote:Glad to know air infiltration will not be an issue. Unfortunately, usability is still a huge issue for us. I would never purchase OKNA sliders again. *I* know that the other sash moves and make sure to push it in before locking. But when guests go to lock the sliders, since the lock "mechanisms" usually don't align, sometimes the window will stay unlocked even though it looks locked, while other times the locking parts scrape against each other until they align. On our smaller slider, which has only one lock, is very frustrating. Bad design in my opinion.
You can tape a small roller bead on the track so that the non-dominant panel will stay tight to the frame and easily locked without adjustment. Should you need to open it, you can just lift it slightly and open the other panel.