Steel Window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Windows on Washington

Re: Steel Window

#1 Post by Windows on Washington »

Only 5 years old or did you mean 50 years?

Sliding window, usually, are the least secure of the window types. That being said, its far more like they would attempt via a door as compared to a window. Even the lesser secure operator in this case (i.e. slider) is still more than enough secure such that they would have to break the glass to get into the home (assuming it was locked).

TheWindowNerd

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think that a double hung is the least secure, easiest to find a place to put a pry bar and pop the locks.

yeah a 5 year old steel window? I hate steel windows.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

At the end, any window can be defeated and it usually has less to do with the frame material than it does the components that are used to lock and affix the window to the frame.

I can break into nearly any window, however, if I apply enough force to jimmy the locks on most, I will break the glass inadvertently.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

you can just cut a piece of wood or something to lay in the track to prevent the window from opening. Sliders and double hungs are the easiest to defeat, the screws just pop out of locks usually when a prybar with a little force is used . They can be difficult if they have a storm window on, usually have to break or just remove those.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tell us about your previous career Todd? 8)

For the record, the window that we most often sell is equip with reinforcement and the screws aren't popping out without some real applied force.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Measured windows for my brother today and as usual he is not there, found a window with no storm and in like that, a small crow bar can apply a lot of force.

NorthernMaryland

#7 Post by NorthernMaryland »

It's unsettling to hear how easily defeated the double hungs are :shock:

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

we are speaking about windows in general and about a lot of mfg.
Most forced entries to a property are through a door. Back patio doors are the most commonly breached.
Do the best you can with locks and buy a barking dog, if that aint enough get an alarm system and use it.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Thieves will usually not come through window. Weak points in the homes are normally doors. You nice new front door is plenty solid so they would try a back door or window.

They aren't going to get through an Okna 800 with the small amount of force that Todd is referencing.