Warranty repair ??

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Docsknotinn

Warranty repair ??

#1 Post by Docsknotinn »

We recently purchased Marvin clad Windows. Unfortunately we have had several issues that are a departure from the quality and service we've experienced with Marvin in the past. The issue we are now having is with the frame of a direct glaze quarter circle that was assembled by Marvin as part of a multi-window single opening. This was installed less than two months ago. The interior factory paint is peeling and the wood is cracking or separating. The wood looks like it's etched from some sort of chemical damage during the manufacturing process. The frame on the opposite side of the same window is splitting.
We filed a claim and after speaking to the dealer my understanding is that Marvin offered to replace the quarter circle but the dealer declined as they don't feel they can separate the quarter circle from the lower casement unit in the field. This puts us in a rather awkward position as Marvin now wants to send a repair technician and they are talking about "laminating" the window. To me this sounds like putting a patch over a defective piece of wood and hoping it lasts five years which is now the full length of Marvin's wood/interior warranty.
The quarter circle is visible from the entire great room. There are two of these units in the front room so repairing or patching one may make it visibly different from the adjacent opening.
TBH I'm more than surprised Marvin is making us go through this instead of just replacing a clear defect. I'll try to post a photo so every one can see what I'm talking about.
I'm hoping others might share the way they would handle this as I know nothing about "laminating" the wood interior of a window other than it sounds like a poor idea and is certainly not what we paid for.

Windows on Washington

Re: Warranty repair ??

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

1st picture really looks like water infiltration.

Any pictures of the exterior?

Docsknotinn

#3 Post by Docsknotinn »

Windows are new with aluminum exterior. Nothing but good weather since installation so they haven't even been wet.
When you get close in person you can see the wood separating. There is no water staining however the factory paint is failing and coming off.
I can try to get an exterior shot up soon.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

If its not water, it seems like some prep and skillfully applied paint refinishing would do the trick.

Docsknotinn

#5 Post by Docsknotinn »

Yes if Marvin won't replace the entire unit I would surely prefer they just refund the cost of that window and factory paint so we can repair it. Covering this up with some form of lamination seems like a very poor idea that might exacerbate (or hide) further deterioration. There is of course the possibility that it's just one ugly piece of wood that never should have made it past QC but that really wouldn't explain why the factory paint is failing there or why they feel it's bad enough to replace the quarter circle. I think there's a pretty strong possibility that deterioration continues on the frame underneath the inset window. Either way not a great situation.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

It does not appear to be deterioration to the extent that the base materials are failing. It looks, to my far away eye, as if the paint prep or reaction to the paint is generating a finish failure. If the wood is not separating, some light sanding, primer, and paint should do the trick.

Docsknotinn

#7 Post by Docsknotinn »

Unfortunately the wood is separating. Repair would involve fill and of course we didn't invest in this to have new windows with wood filler in a very visible area. I can only assume at this point that this is why Marvin is talking about "laminating" over the top. I was hoping some one might chime in with what that process involves but in either event it would be to cover up wood that is separating.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the frame or jamb extension is separating, that should be replaced. Whether that entails pulling the trim and the jamb extension or pulling the unit would be determined by Marvin. Coating over it or laminating it would not be what I consider a suitable option.

Docsknotinn

#9 Post by Docsknotinn »

No idea what type of service others are receiving from Marvin but this has been going on for weeks now. I was assured multiple times by the dealer and Marvin that we would hear from Marvin's rep by Friday to make an appointment for next week. Friday evening and still no call. So far customer service has been pretty darn poor on this issue.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

They tend to keep track of these threads. I would inform them that you are still waiting on the service and move it up the chain as necessary.

Docsknotinn

#11 Post by Docsknotinn »

Thank you. It's much appreciated. I did hear from our Marvin repair rep last evening. He seemed like a very knowledgeable guy and was also quite personable. While it doesn't improve factory QC or make an issue like this better it sure helps smooth the edges and set the the tone when you get some one to deal that seems to know their business and is straight forward. Overall it sounds like Marvin has him covering several states. In either event we hope to have him at the house with in the next two weeks.
In the mean time we are set for more windows to go in this week. I will post exterior photos soon as I would like opinions on replacing the top window and not the whole unit in the field.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good to hear they got in touch with you. I don't know of another company, at Marvin's size, that does a better job so covering the customer's investment than they do.

Docsknotinn

#13 Post by Docsknotinn »

It's been a long convoluted process and one that has not left a great impression of Marvin Warranty claims but Marvin has determined this was a manufacturing defect. They are replacing the window but are refusing to cover the installation so their manufacturing errors will still put us at an additional out of pocket expense. Our dealer has been exceptional and frankly I don't believe with out their efforts this would have been resolved.

My understanding at this point is that the lamination layers are sprayed with some sort of chemical preservative which was not dry before the wood was painted causing a chemical reaction. At least that's the hypothesis of the repair tech. It's actually a fair bit worse than when the photos up-thread were taken. All of this really under scores the need to do your home work when picking a dealer.
Thanks to WOW for responding. I think your advice and opinions were balanced and helpful.

JPM

#14 Post by JPM »

Glad to see you they will be replacing the window for you. Are these the new Next Generation Ultimate aluminum clad windows? Were the ordered with the extension jamb for 2 x 6 walls?

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

Glad to see they are going to fix it up for you. Sounds like your dealer is a stand up group and I am sure they will take care of it as best they can.