Technical Definition of a window "PANE"

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dhayden8088

Technical Definition of a window "PANE"

#1 Post by dhayden8088 »

I have always been under the impression that when referring to a window pane, I was referring to the entire sheet of glass; or in the case of a double or triple pane window, the amount of layers of glass. In doing some research on windows, I've become frustrated with people referring to windows that are single pane windows sectioned off by a single muntin bar running through the middle as double pane windows. Or, for another example, people calling a window with a grille that divides the window pane into six sections as a 6 pane glass. I feel that referring to these windows in this way is incorrect and has been misleading to me during my searches.

So, the question that I really need answered is:
Is there a technical name for the individual sections created by inserting a grille onto a pane of glass or is a "pane" of glass correct terminology for both of these situations?

Thanks!!!

Windows on Washington

Re: Technical Definition of a window "PANE"

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends in large part on how the glass is divided.

If you are talking about an older window that has true divided lites in which the grid bar goes all the way through (older wood windows), each box (in that six over six arrangement) would be aptly called pane of glass.

In the case of a more modern window with a large sheet of glass, the larger section would be called a pane in that case.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I dunno its all a pain no matter how you glaze it.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Technically a pane is one piece of glass. That could be used to described an entire "sheet" in the context of double pane and triple pane, and could also be used to describe one small piece of a larger divided lite arrangement (this is less common). It becomes more confusing now with grid/muntin options that no longer divide the window sash into multiple pieces of glass, and only simulate that look. I will say however that this is most often referred to as a "lite" as opposed to pane.
While there is some gray area and overlap, during your research you should be fairly safe in taking "pane" to reference single, double, triple pane glass packages, while "lite" will most often reference the number of sections in a grid pattern. I'd also recommend reading the context of the comments surrounding the use for further clarification.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

So when your wife say you are a "pane" she is say you are a pane in the "glass"?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

The Marx Brothers ladies and gentlemen...

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:The Marx Brothers ladies and gentlemen...