Trying to replace my window, am I getting ripped off?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
stoogensen

Trying to replace my window, am I getting ripped off?

#1 Post by stoogensen »

Hey everyone, we live next to a major road and the sound, while bearable, is annoying. We currently have Ply Gem vinyl windows (dual pane), and have been quoted for Andersen windows. The window is an 8x4 window. I am unsure of the Ply Gem rating, but the Andersen one only goes up to 35 stc and 32 oitc (dual pane, tempered, and also laminated). They quoted 6k for this window and a little one above it. Is this going to be worht the time, money, and effort?

Windows on Washington

Re: Trying to replace my window, am I getting ripped off?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Seems a bit on the high side but we would need to know options, install type, etc.

stoogensen

#3 Post by stoogensen »

Sorry, I am not understanding the options and install type clearly I think.

This is the info I do have, though:

windows now are Ply Gem, vinyl series. The hollow frame may be where the sound is coming from? The window is double pane, but with very little space between the glass.

the replacement window is Andersen, with the Fibrex frame. It is wider and also will be tempered, one glass will be thicker than the other, and also laminated.

with all the specs, the 35 rating seems really low. I think our current window may only get as high as 26?

:cry:

stoogensen

#4 Post by stoogensen »

Oh, also, the window is a double slider and 8ft by 4ft.

The small one above is a casement, and 1ft by 2ft.

Both were originally quoted for $8k, but then got a reduction (discounts) to $6k.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

So essentially 2) 4x4 sliders and a small casement above for a total of 3 windows?

The laminated glass is the correct option for sound reduction and is very pricey, however I'd agree that this may be a little higher than normal even with the expensive options. I suppose it depends on the other details...

Regarding the hollow chambers causing the sound transmittance, 1) that is bunk, 2) the fibrex window also has hollow chambers. The two aspects that will mitigate sound transmittance for the most part are the glass package (correctly spec'd in this case), and air flow through the assembly. That unit is not the tightest on the market in that regard. I'd suggest looking at another option or two and getting prices accordingly. Try a high end vinyl model with good air infiltration ratings and a similar laminated glass package. You should be able to get a better product at a price that will probably be cheaper.

stoogensen

#6 Post by stoogensen »

Thank you for the info! I will check out other options.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Foam fill won't help much but I would still take it, even fiberglass is a 2x4 wall makes a bit of difference. I would say that Fibrex would be better than vinyl due to it's density but no real proof.
I would upgrade to foam spacers if possible, consider going to all casements for there superior air infiltration numbers and smaller glass area, installation quality and methods will be key as well, getting high STC numbers often involves baby steps. Don't forget to look at the envelope surrounding the window such as the walls, attic a blower door test may not be a bad idea or you could add add another layer or drywall. An STC of 35 is not bad just take a look at the whole envelope before sinking big dollars into the project.