Question for casement window experts about operator arms

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Don K.

Question for casement window experts about operator arms

#1 Post by Don K. »

I’m in process of casement window replacements and have already received excellent advice here about installation process. During evaluations of different windows I noticed a few (not many) have dual arm operators, while more have single arm operator either straight arm or split arm (most). Which made me wonder if there is an advantage to one or other.

Casements being replaced have dual arms, which when open will only move slightly in wind gust (mostly just play in attach points) as straight arm portion is out near middle of sash bottom for support. Since most replacements use single split arm type operator, which is attached back near lower slide hinge. Would this type operator be more subject to damage from wind when sash is open, since there is no stability further out on sash?

Windows on Washington

Re: Question for casement window experts about operator arms

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most window companies don't make the hardware. Most of the casement hardwares that we see now are really good and well engineered.

Don K.

#3 Post by Don K. »

Windows on Washington wrote:Most window companies don't make the hardware. Most of the casement hardwares that we see now are really good and well engineered.
Thanks for feed back, I understand about the quality as none of my present 24 operating components have failed in 25 years since new.

While searching for reviews to evaluate different widows, I stumbled on a window site (don’t recall name) that offered pro’s and con’s about casement windows. One con was more likely wind damage would occur to casements when open. It struck me odd since in last 25 years I have not experienced anything caused by wind. But I then thought is that because mine have dual arm operators (two support points when open).

I assume if experienced window people on this site have not seen a problem with single split arm type as most are nowadays, it’s not something I need to pay attention too.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

The possibility of wind damage occurring is extremely remote, even in the windiest locations in the country. As WoW said, the hardware is great and pretty problem free.

Don K.

#5 Post by Don K. »

Randy wrote:The possibility of wind damage occurring is extremely remote, even in the windiest locations in the country. As WoW said, the hardware is great and pretty problem free.
Thanks Randy, it’s starting to sound like I can forget about single arm verse dual arm operators.

uncle eddie

#6 Post by uncle eddie »

Agree with the others. It should not be a point of emphasis, or even much of a consideration really.