Okna 500dx

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jaydeez

Okna 500dx

#1 Post by jaydeez »

Hello,

I recently received a quote for 20 Okna 500DX full frame replacement windows. Roughly $22,900 however if I pay cash they’d knock 5% off so price would drop to roughly $21,755. At first I thought this to be a tad high. I know there are more than just the window cost to factor in but is this price reasonable or was my initial thought right on? I live in the Northeast so things tend to be a little more expensive but this seems a bit too much.

Average price per window is about $1,145 or $1,087 at 5% off.

16 double hung windows
(9 @ 3 @ 45″ X 32″ w/grids)
(4 @ 45″ X 20″ w/grids)
(3 @ 66″ X 32″ Cottage sash w/grids and tempered glass),

2 picture windows
(46″ x 52″ no grids)

1 casement window
(36″ x 20″ w/grids)

1 slider window
(36″ x 41″ w/grids)

toddinmn

Re: Okna 500dx

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Would need more details on the install. That number could be high or even low. Full frame replacements can be quite complex sometimes. I'd assume you are getting more bids?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

When i use a nail flange with okna its the 5500 which is the 500 with a flange. Are you getting all new interior trim as well ? Its an ok price but i would have to see it. The new Okna 600 series "EcoPro" comes with a nail flange. Its a sharp window and a step above the 500 series.
Last edited by masterext on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. More details on product options and installation would be needed to assess exactly where on the pricing spectrum it falls, but being full frame replacements off the bat, add grids and cottage to some units, and it does not sound crazy by any means.

If there are ZERO other options and a relatively straightforward install, it could possibly be slightly high.
If this is triple pane glass, new interior woodwork, prefinished, etc it could easily be low as well.

jaydeez

#5 Post by jaydeez »

Thank you for the feedback. The install would include all new trim inside and out. There is existing brick mold on the exterior of the house which of course would be replaced. All windows are the deluxe version, which is to say they are double pain, standard locks, and standard flat grids. As indicated in the original post all but two windows would have grids and the three largest double hung windows would be cotton sash and tempered. Difference between replacement and full frame is roughly $320 a window.

Unfortunately there are no other Okna dealers in my area of NH so getting another quote from an Okna dealer might be difficult if not impossible.

I have recently received a quote for the Pella 250 Series window spec'd to the same as the Okna 500dx window. Basically the u-factor was spec'd to be roughly the same as the Okna's 0.25. The quote of course came in quite a bit higher before local discount, military discount, cash payment discount, etc etc. Final price was $20,700. While I had the Pella salesman spec the window to the same as the Okna 500dx window the Pella window came with automatic locks and pre-painted trim which would require no work from me after install. The Okna price of course does not include the automatic locks and the painting of trim.

I do know the Pella window is regarded to be a lower end window when compared to Okna but trying to get comparable quotes seems difficult. Buying windows is a rather difficult process it seems like. Many variables to consider so comparing different brands/installers becomes difficult unless they are very transparent about everything.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like a pretty comprehensive installation.

The Pella 250 is a pocket sill if memory serves me. Automatic disqualifier in my opinion.

You also would need to compare the air infiltration rates if you want a full comparison in this case and in that regard, the Okna will best the Pella window again by large margin.

Talk to you Okna dealer. A good painter (I always prefer to paint afterwards to conceal nail holes and other trim installation marks) should be manageable.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

I have a very hard time believing that the pella 250 has a Ufactor similar to Okna. Even in the unlikely event that it did, i would still never recommend the pella due to its cheap construction and flimsy tolerances. The Okna 500 series has a .25 Ufactor.
Pella may be using a surface 4 hard coat lowE coating that will bring an ice cube to a low Ufactor but thats an old trick. That surface 4 coating kills the condensation resistance number and brings it to a 49 or 50. That number should be at least a 58 or higher. Ironic how the pella is priced higher than the okna.
The new Okna 600 " EcoPro" has some of the best efficiency numbers I've ever seen.
Last edited by masterext on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

why tempered glass in those units?
they may be within 17" of grade put do not exceed 9sq ft.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. As masterext explained, the u factor is NOT an apples to apples comp. To reach that number, they are either quoting a center of glass rating which is hyperbole at best, or they are utilizing a surface 4 coating which many guys would not touch with a ten foot pole, particularly in cold climates where condensation is an issue even without it.

Then there are the other factors from the pocket sill, to air leakage, etc... Just not a comparable unit.

jaydeez

#10 Post by jaydeez »

Thank you again for the replies. I brought Pella in just to get a comparative quote fully knowing the window is not regarded as being as good of quality as the Okna.

Sunrise dealer still hasn't gotten back to me yet. Which makes me feel like it would take forever to actually get the Windows installed since they can't even bother contacting me about a quote.

The reason the three large double hungs are tempered is because they are within 18" of the floor. NH code dictates this.

I have another window installer coming tomorrow which I believe uses AMI Windows but it's hard to tell given they don't post the brand name on their website. I don't think these will be overly desirable so I might be wasting their time and mine.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

The sizes listed for tempered would not require it in a double hung configuration according to international building code. The exception for 9 square feet would only apply to the bottom sash unless they have a stricter code that supersedes IBC code.

masterext

#12 Post by masterext »

AMI Windows are Alside windows. Some guys call them AMI since ami( associated materials) owns alside.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

jaydeez wrote:Thank you again for the replies. I brought Pella in just to get a comparative quote fully knowing the window is not regarded as being as good of quality as the Okna.
Understood. It is important however to quantify the reasons why. There are several ways that manufacturers manipulate u factors and other ratings to make their products appear better, and this would be one of those cases.
jaydeez wrote:The reason the three large double hungs are tempered is because they are within 18" of the floor. NH code dictates this.
As Todd mentioned, the IBC also requires them to be over 9sq ft of glass in that panel, so per that stipulation, it may not be necessary. That said, some local authorities enforce tighter restrictions, so the best bet is to check with them first if you want to save the money. On the other hand, having those tempered for safety without regard to the code is not the worst idea.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It would nice to know if you have the choice as far as the tempered is concerned.
Several mfg use double strength glass as a standard, so breakage is less of an issue. At least one mfg uses heat treat on all inboard units, this makes glass ~ 4x harder to break.
As we have shared IBC would not require tempered unless >9 sq ft. You might want to check this with the local code enforcement officer.

jaydeez

#15 Post by jaydeez »

Thank you for the advice all. I sent the salesman a link to the IBC code which is what NH follows. He mentioned he would look into it and check with my local town.

I still need to have the Sunrise dealer come by.

The problem I run into is there is just 1 Okna dealer and 2 Sunrise dealers. 1 of the Sunrise dealers already warned me he's expensive. Most window installers in my area install Harvey. So it's tough to get a comparable quote.