Traco Tilt Window Help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
sciprox

Traco Tilt Window Help

#1 Post by sciprox »

Hi All

I have five Traco tilt windows in my apartment and the tilt tab which holds the top of the window on the guide is broken on 3 of the 5. Basically the windows fall from the top as soon as you unlock them. I was hoping to replace the tabs myself but I can not tell if I can even open the frame.

I can not seem to find the internal tabs online. Are these replaceable or do I need to get new windows? Is this something a local repair shop can fix?

Also if anyone could recommend someone in New York City that would be great.

Windows on Washington

Re: Traco Tilt Window Help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Look for a serial number and start with Traco. They have usually been pretty good. It may even be a warranty item for that matter.

sciprox

#3 Post by sciprox »

Thanks for the reply. I looked up an down the window and can not find a serial number. The only thing I can see inside the window pane is the ICBB and CBA certification. Now when I search online for Traco I see they are now a subsidiary of Alcoa. However it appears they have spun off some of their residential business to a company to call Echo which has since gone out of business. However before they went out of business a company called MGM purchased some of their products.

This seems like a bit of run around. I will try to call Alcoa and MGM tomorrow.

Does anyone know if this type of repair is possible on windows from a manufacturer that doesn't even exist anymore?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Does the upper sash move? If so, pull it down and look up inside the frame where the window shuts or on the top of the sash for a sticker.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above.
Despite the runaround, to my knowledge, products are still sold and produced under the Traco name. You should be able to source the parts, it just may be tricky to get ahold of the right people. You could also search for a Traco distributor in your area, somebody like an Allied Building Products or other supply house. They will typically have the right contacts needed to eliminate a lot of that runaround.