Low vs mid-grade windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
StevefromATL

Low vs mid-grade windows

#1 Post by StevefromATL »

I had several people show me vinyl windows and right now I'm seriously considering the Alside Mezzo and the Slocomb Harmony windows. I've been searching the web and am getting mixed reviews on both of these. I'm also seeing some reviews that state that these are both low end windows,and ideal only for rental properties or flippers. I'm questioning this and what it means to be a low end window. Is it related to durability and the seams? Both seem to me to be pretty durable but I'm not an expert. The Slocomb windows were presented to me by a very reputable local home maintenance company and the Mezzo windows also have some good reviews online so I'm a little confused as to the difference between these two windows in terms of quality, and whether they will stand the test of time. They both have limited lifetime warranties. Also, what defines a low end vs mid level window and are these in fact low end? I've also read that HiMark, Okna and several others are better quality windows. If so, in what way are they better? What would be the expected difference in price to move up to a "mid-level" window? Is there a place where I can find out side by side comparisons of the different windows in terms of form, function, durability?

I don't have the window measurements but my quotes for both of these came to roughly $9300 for 19 windows in a traditional home, 13 windows with grids, 15 double hung, 4 picture (3 with tempered glass). Aluminum wrapping exterior.

I live in the Atlanta area so our winters cannot compare to other regions such as the Northeast so I don't need triple pane glass or extra insulation.

Any help is much appreciated!

Steve

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Low vs mid-grade windows

#2 Post by masterext »

The reviews on mezzo arent mixed, they are all bad. Homeowners fall for it because its cheap.
Lets move on to the other window, Slocomb. Its a decent window although i prefer their top offering.
What makes a good window? The quality of the vinyl, engineering features, thickness/ guage of the vinyl itself.
If you open up the window of the mezzo, look at the keeper ( it engages the lock). You can literally bend the keeper without exerting much effort. They also glue cheap fuzz pads to the inner corners of the sash which invariably come off and cause air infiltration.
Think about why that window is priced so cheaply.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I guess the old adage of you get what you pay for is pretty time tested.

While I don't think you shouldn't shop for a value, the question becomes what is that value proposition. Some folks look at a 5 year timetable and most units, even the nice lower end offerings, will probably look okay to the untrained eye at 5 years.

The posters and pros on this board are coming from a position of dealing and observing these products over a longer sample period.

I don't know if you have ever worked on cars, but the difference would be the trained mechanic vs. the casual homeowner wrenching on his own car. The professional mechanic appreciates and observes the long term quality of an OEM part and a Matco wrench whereas the casual wrench is okay with the Harbor Freight ratchet and the Chinese replacement part. He might get by and might not have a failure whereas the mechanic has seen that part fail time and time again as well as haven broken the cheaper ratchet before as well.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I agree completely with the last two posters and would only add that you may be surprised at the price if you got quotes for better premium windows such as Okna/HiMark and others. They may be closer in price to your other quotes than you are imagining, especially if you eventually share the price of your other quotes with them. With it being early in the season you may get a great deal.

StevefromATL

#5 Post by StevefromATL »

Thanks to all of you for your information. I scheduled a company that installs Okna windows to come out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again,

Steve

WindowsDirectCinci

#6 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Not sure if you've made a decision or not but I'll chime in since I have installed/sold both windows. Of the two windows listed I would favor the Slocomb harmony window over the mezzo. While it generally has better efficiency ratings than the mezzo and I prefer Slocombs duralite spacer over Intercept the deciding factor for me, would be the company that produces each window. If you buy from Alside there is a very good chance that your Windows don't come to you how they were ordered. Wrong grid patterns, different color screens, Windows that are labeled as yours but are actually another order, no locks. These are all things that I have experienced when ordering from them. Although they will reorder your windows/parts it is still a major headache. I'll also mention that the Mezzo has the thinnest vinyl in terms of mil thickness that I have seen and with their idea of "reinforcements" your asking for trouble. I would ask the Slocomb dealer if he can get the 677 Series if you can stretch for that upgrade. You'll get a solid window and will likely be the best value.

StevefromATL

#7 Post by StevefromATL »

Thank you. In the end, I decided to go with Soft Lite Bainbridge series windows with a super spacer. One other question I have is whether to go with vinyl covered aluminum cladding on the brick molding. The company I chose say that the majority of customers do the cladding. I've heard mixed stories that it does not look good on a traditional house. Is this true? If the installer installs it correctly, would it make sense to go this route from an esthetic and a maintenance point of view. My concern is I want it to look good and also protect over the long haul with minimal maintenance.

thanks for any input.

Steve

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the cladding is well done, it doesn't have to look that synthetic.

I would not go with the PVC striated if it were me. I like the no-mar coated coil.

StevefromATL

#9 Post by StevefromATL »

Thank you for the suggestion!