Advice on bay window setup?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Dagobah

Advice on bay window setup?

#1 Post by Dagobah »

We're replacing all our windows with NT Presidential vinyl windows. The only thing we've yet to decide is what to do with our current bay window.

The existing window is a picture window flanked by two casements. (We'll be building a window seat under this later this year.) Here's a pic: http://imgur.com/d9BY0Zv

We've decided to do no grids on the new windows. For this bay setup, we've spec'd one picture window flanked by two single hung windows. The line from the single hungs wouldn't be carried through the picture window, resulting in an asymmetrical look that we're not fond of. Example: castlewindows.com/wp-content/gallery/bay-window/Baywithdoublehungendsnogrids.jpg

As I see it, we have two options:
1) We could pay a bit more and replace the side windows with casements. Resulting in a look like this: http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/ ... 6H0w/o.jpg

2) Keep the two side windows as single hung, and replace the large picture in the middle with two single hungs. The downside here is we'd have a mullion down the middle. I can't seem to find a picture of this setup.

Wondering if anyone has been down this path before and has input on what looks best in practice?

Windows on Washington

Re: Advice on bay window setup?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't like option 2 to be frank with you. It looks busy and reverse engineered.

The Single Hung flanker option is quite normal and more so than option 2.

I prefer casements here (i.e. option 1) for the unobstructed and clean look through the sides.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I too prefer the casements, however here in Texas the single hung flankers with a picture window in the center is most common.

Dagobah

#4 Post by Dagobah »

Randy wrote:I too prefer the casements, however here in Texas the single hung flankers with a picture window in the center is most common.
Thanks for the input. I think we're going to go with the casements.

In the front of the house, we have two single hungs with a picture in the window in the middle. While we don't have grids currently, the existing picture window has a strip along the middle that makes the single hung lines match up. As a result, we're replacing them with 3 picture windows so the lines flow.

tru_blue

#5 Post by tru_blue »

I'm coming a bit late to the party, seeing as I check in only occasionally these days, but since you mentioned you didn't have a picture to look at of a single hung bay with a two-wide single hung in the middle, here's one for you. :D

FWIW, in most cases for bay windows I prefer the look of casement flankers with a fixed picture window in the center, but often when I do double hung or single hung bays, I actually like having DH/SH's in the middle as well.