Sunrise P2210 vs Soft-Lite Imperial LS

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bulka14

Sunrise P2210 vs Soft-Lite Imperial LS

#1 Post by Bulka14 »

Hello,

I am comparing these two windows and want some opinions on them.
-Sunrise P2210-U-Rating:.25, SHGC:.48, VT:.59, CR:.46, Air Leak:.01-.04 and Price: around 8500-9000.

-Soft-Lite Imperial LS
-U-Rating:.21, SHGC:.24, VT:.51, CR:.59, Air Leak:.02 and Price: 10430

I live in south central PA and I am not sure if I should have the lower SHGC rating or the higher one for winters to let sunlight in. I do like the sunrise window since it doesn't have a big frame like the Imperial LS does. What are your opinions? We have 4 basement hoppers, 10 double hung, 1 casement and 1 bay window (2 double and 1 picture) that we are replace.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Sunrise P2210 vs Soft-Lite Imperial LS

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What glass coating are they spec'ing on that Sunrise. Those numbers are odd and a bit overkill, even in your area, unless the home it set to take advantage on the south facing windows.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Given the CR rating on the sunrise it looks like a surface 4 coating. I'd highly advise against it in your location, as condensation will be likely. Sunrise makes a very nice window, but I'd suggest either going triple pane, or disregarding Energy Star and getting the standard low e and argon which will put the u factor back at .29(give or take a point), but will have a better cr number.

I agree with WOW though that even at that, something seems a little off. The shgc number seems pretty high, and the ai on the dh is .04, not .01

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I just noticed that CR number. 46 is a big red flag in my book.

Bulka14

#5 Post by Bulka14 »

I just went through my catalog with the ratings and the only one that has a rating for CR over 50 is the P2100a. For my area in pa, do I want a rating lower for SHGC or mid-range and what else for the other categories? I do not want to go triple pane because of price of them really isn't worth return from what i have been reading. What other windows would be similar in frame and cost? Okna and Renewal by Anderson are out for me because of price.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Whatever brochure you are looking at must have only the offerings with the surface 4. I know that they are really promoting those packages as nobody wants to sell something that is not energy star rated these days. Ask your sales guy for a regular surface 2 low e package. Should have a cr in the mid to upper 50's. Not sure where you are located, but you could always try another Okna and/or softlite dealer. Their higher lines should be somewhat close in price in most cases

Bulka14

#7 Post by Bulka14 »

The glass is latitude...not sure if that helps or not
HomeSealed wrote:Whatever brochure you are looking at must have only the offerings with the surface 4. I know that they are really promoting those packages as nobody wants to sell something that is not energy star rated these days. Ask your sales guy for a regular surface 2 low e package. Should have a cr in the mid to upper 50's. Not sure where you are located, but you could always try another Okna and/or softlite dealer. Their higher lines should be somewhat close in price in most cases

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

The ratings are the important part.

The low condensation resistance indicates the surface 4 coating. For additional background, that is a method that manufacturers are using to meet Energy Star v6 requirements of .27 u value or lower in instances where they would otherwise not be able to qualify. They put the low e on the inner-most surface of glass that you can touch from in your home. The low e essentially reflects heat, keeping that glass surface and the air space behind it from warming, resulting in a colder surface and reduced condensation resistance. This in itself is not bad technology. It's pretty cool actually--when properly applied. Unfortunately cold climates that already see a lot of condensation are terrible candidates for that in most cases. IMO, it subverts the intent of Energy Star which is to provide homeowners with windows that are more energy efficient and will better meet the needs of their climate. This glass pack WILL reduce energy loss, however with that major side effect of a substantial loss in condensation resistance... Reminds me of those crazy pharmaceutical commercials where they are selling headache medicine or another medication to treat a somewhat trivial condition, but then go on to list all of the side-effects from blood clots, to seizures, and even death..