Window Replacement Decision and Importance of Spray Foam

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
trinston

Window Replacement Decision and Importance of Spray Foam

#1 Post by trinston »

Hello,

First - I have found this board very helpful in doing as much research as I can on windows in a compressed timeline. I live in central Maryland and am looking to replace 12 windows - I have two quotes from companies, and one uses an OSI Quad Spray foam when replacing windows, and the other does not use foam, saying it may push against windows and disrupt operation. This company says their windows already come with a foam border around the outside and it serves a similar purpose. Is the foam a MUST have when replacing windows? Does it make that much have an impact?

Central Maryland
Company 1:
12 Soft-Lite Envision (basically Bainbridge) series @ $7,100 (started over $12K!) OR
Imperial LS was being offered for $8,700 - I know this is a great window but still had issues with the price
Uses OSI QUAD Caulk and Foam for windows. Did not enjoy their sales pitch, no transparency in data or costs. Have a little more faith in their installation than company 2.

Company 2:
12 Revere Berkshire Elite windows @ $6,500. Much easier sales pitch, knew what I would have been buying and costs. I know the quality of the window is not as good, and they do not use spray foam. Trying to weigh cost vs how long we will remain in house, no longer than 10 years.

Currently have builder windows from 1992. Thanks for any advice.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Window Replacement Decision and Importance of Spray Foam

#2 Post by masterext »

Forget the Revere, its basically an alside window. Before i did anything, i would contact "windows on Washington". Im fairly certain he serves your area. He does great work and offers some nice products with no high pressure pitches. Search his name on the board and hit his contact button. At the very least, talk with him about your project.
By the way, he is big on using spray foam.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Properly selected and applied, the use of spray foam in window installation is a superior method. Stating that it is not is either uninformed or disingenuous. A perimeter foam frame wrap is fine, but not sufficient unless the fit is too tight for foam or fiberglass and can only be caulked for an additional seal.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Company #2 is behind the times and/or misinformed. Minimal expanding window foam has been widely used successfully since the 90s. It shocks me that someone in the business has this opinion.
This opinion would be at least a small red flag to me, as well as their use of such a crappy window.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Contacting WOW would be the very best decision that you could make if he serves your area. They have the best products that outperform both of those options married with the highest level of installation practices. I don't like the sound of company #1 sales BS and I wouldn't even consider company #2 as this isn't 1970.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

I agree with the recommendation to contact Windows on Washington before making a decision and see what they can offer you. Great company all around.

Spray foam is essential to an airtight/watertight installation, but I would never recommend pushing it on an installer who doesn’t regularly use it as it must be properly applied to avoid bowing the windows and possibly voiding the warranty. Let them learn on someone else’s house.

Foam wraps that come on the perimeter of some windows are not sufficient.

trinston

#7 Post by trinston »

Thanks all, I requested a quote from Windows on Washington via this forum, and they do service my area. I am at a stand-still for now because I am not a huge fan of the Berkshire Elite windows and the lack of spray foam installation. The other company really turned me off with their sales tactics, and I let them know that. I think the Soft-Lite Bainbridge a nice enough window for our purposes, but I can't trust the company's integrity anymore. Hate those sales games with made up coupons and discounts on the spot to pressure you into signing.

I spray foamed all the gaps up in my attic last year and it made a huge difference, so I am a firm believer in using that whenever possible.

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Good call. While Soft-lite makes some very good windows, the Intercept spacer that is standard in the Bainbridge line is the weak link. You’ll appreciate the way Windows on Washington does business, compared to what you’ve seen so far.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Trinston,

Feel free to contact me directly if you prefer and I will make sure to oversee your account.

Eric

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net