Am I being ripped off? Please help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kfellma

Am I being ripped off? Please help

#1 Post by kfellma »

I purchased 26 windows from Sea Thru Windows and the contract states Coastal Comfort windows. I paid 50% upfront per the contract. A long story (broken down factory) and nearly 6 months later, the windows have been installed. The problem is that I stole a piece of paper off one of the windows and it's made by Survivor 2 and has different R values and all the numbers are off a bit from what the Sea Thru catalog states.
The windows are decent looking and installed reasonably well but I feel like these are not the windows I paid almost 9K for.
I contacted Survivor 2 for details but they just referred me back to Sea Thru.
I called the store mgr at Sea Thru who said "we will replace every single pane of glass to match what you ordered" and "the frames are different, but these are from a newer line"
The next day, another employee left a msg that basically states we're wrong and the windows are correct.

How can I verify that the survivor windows are identical to what the Sea Thru catalog and contract state?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Am I being ripped off? Please help

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

This whole deal smells fishy. I don't know these window brands, but I did notice that the Survivor only has a 20 year warranty on the glass and 5 years on hardware. The other window has a full lifetime warranty including labor. That shows there is a difference right there.
I'm hoping some of the pros here know both of these windows and can give you some good advice.

uncle eddie

#3 Post by uncle eddie »

26 windows for $9k is $346 per window. In my estimation, you didn't get ripped off, you got what most people get that pay a price like that thinking that they got a great deal. A crappy window, and shady tactics from a company. You can put a different sticker on a dog turd and its still a dog turd. You wouldn't get anything different for that price. Despite the fact that you are currently reaping the "rewards" of your choice, I'd actually prefer to see a crappy company take one in the shorts. If you have the other product specified on your contract (assuming that it was not written on a napkin), I would insist on getting the product that was specified on your contract.

tzchar

#4 Post by tzchar »

Hi all - don't mean the hijack the thread, but wondering if I could get your take on a quote we've gotten to replace our windows in the Pacific northwest. We are new to this and would appreciate any insight.

We were quoted ~$9,000 to remove existing windows and replace the following -

2 6.5x6 ft picture windows w/ tempered glass
1 7x4.5 ft XOX slider
3 8x3 ft XOX slider w/ satin etch
1 6x3 ft XO slider w/ satin etch

All windows are vinyl and from a WA company called Comfort Design.

Most of the old windows being removed are wood/single pane, there is one window that is made of glass blocks.

The installation company has good reviews/references, but I'm trying to figure out how to determine whether this is a good price (we're getting additional quotes as well). Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!