How do I know if installer is qualified and honest?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rebar

How do I know if installer is qualified and honest?

#1 Post by rebar »

Having worked in the trades, Ive worked around some serious cobblers and hacks. But if I were to have met them before seeing their work, they could have talked me into believing just about anything.

How do I know if installer is qualified and honest before hiring them?

Or what things should I ask without insulting them?

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: How do I know if installer is qualified and honest?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Talk to friends and neighbors.

Best place to start is with the recommendations of someone you trust.

In terms of examination of a contractor for the purpose of vetting, work examples and past client referrals are two good tools.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Ask who they are voting for.

rebar

#4 Post by rebar »

toddinmn wrote:Ask who they are voting for.
That's rich toddinmn. :lol:

A buddy at work recommended his nephew who remodels and builds custom homes. It sounded like he pays allot of attention to details.. So I texted him and asked if he can get three of the most recommended windows Iv read about here, or what windows he has available.. That was three weeks ago and til now, nothing. I guess I should have more patience and assume since he's very busy, he's good.. tick tock

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

rebar wrote:

A buddy at work recommended his nephew who remodels and builds custom homes. It sounded like he pays allot of attention to details.. So I texted him and asked if he can get three of the most recommended windows Iv read about here, or what windows he has available.. That was three weeks ago and til now, nothing. I guess I should have more patience and assume since he's very busy, he's good.. tick tock
Well, that could be the case... or he might just give terrible customer service. If a guy doesn't give you the time of day BEFORE he has your money, just imagine the response time AFTER he has it and you are in need of service.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

rebar wrote:

Rule number one: never go with the family friend or " the home builder ". Think about a home builder, they want to make money and usually skimp on things that are easily overlooked. Windows being one of them. The higher quality window brands you are requesting can only be procured through an authorized dealer. A standard general contractor usually doesnt have access to those high quality offerings.
Im sure your recommended contractor is a decent guy but you would be much better served by choosing a company that has an emphasis on windows and is an actual dealer of one of those particular brands. When requesting to be a dealer of those high end offerings, there is a pretty rigid vetting process by the window manufacturer. They dont just allow any contractor to offer their window. They want their brands represented by a solid company that really knows windows.

Earl Wolf

#7 Post by Earl Wolf »

Good one :D

Always ask for references and do an online search for the company. Make sure there are no complaints online. Maybe check BBB or any other review type sites.

Others gave some good recommendations as well.