Softlite Elements Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AWCincy

Softlite Elements Windows

#1 Post by AWCincy »

Hello Window Experts,
I'm getting ready to replace a house full (25) of windows. I was looking at Champion and Gilkey and came across Softlite Elements. I had never heard of them and during my research can only find positive comments.
I'm considering the Ultra-S triple pane for the majority and the Solar Ultra for the huge window that faces the evening sun. The Ultra-S lists a .24 solar heat gain compared to .19 for the Gilkey 366 Plus and .21 for Champion. Is there really that much of a difference between those numbers? If so, I may consider the Solar Ultra for the entire home.
Any comments or suggestions about the window performance, both glass and mechanically, and any warranty issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

HomeSealed

Re: Softlite Elements Windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Elements is one of the top vinyl windows (and top performing windows of any material) on the market. Its a steep drop to the other two mentioned...
Regarding the shgc, what you are seeing there is a difference between standard low e and the darker 365/366. Yes, there is a difference. In addition to blocking too much solar gain which can reduce energy efficiency (I assume that you are in OH based on the screen name), it will also make for a much darker window. This type of glass is not ideal for most folks in a cool climate. It is only used to somewhat artificially improve the u factor, which makes it an easier sell since that is all most people look at. The appropriate application for those options is warmer climates where the expense to cool the home is greater than that to heat it.

AWCincy

#3 Post by AWCincy »

HomeSealed,
Thanks for your response and you are correct, I live in southwest Ohio. So if I'm understanding correctly, the .24 offered by Softlite should fit my application well.
Is theirs a true lifetime warranty and have there been any issues in the past with claims?
Thanks again.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

.24 shgc is fine there. Slightly higher wouldn't hurt, but that is certainly better than the .19 or .21.

On warranties etc, I have my own issues with how they do some things, but I don't think that there are any documented cases of them not honoring their legal obligations in that regard.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I believe you will have yourself covered pretty good in regards the warranty on the Elements. That unit even has accidental glass breakage standard to the series. It's one of my top three favorite windows to install (OKNA 800dx Sunrise Vanguard). I like the glass package that you're considering and I think that you will be very pleased with the product.

AWCincy

#6 Post by AWCincy »

Thank you both for your advice and comments.