Windsor vs Simonton

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bing

Windsor vs Simonton

#1 Post by Bing »

I have a quote for Simonton 5500's and one for Windsor New Dimension windows. I am wondering which is the better value here. Basically, 11 windows are about 250 dollars difference...with Simonton being more. I currently have 19 year old vinyl windows in my house and they are just shot for the most part. So, this would be a retrofit I would say. I've heard it call a pocket replacement. Regardless, they won't take the siding back and nail in with new fins.

Windows on Washington

Re: Windsor vs Simonton

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I haven't seen that Windsor product just yet.

The Simonton 5500, while not being considered one of the upper, upper end performing units, is still a solid window and a known commodity.

Bing

#3 Post by Bing »

Even while it is an older design, I agree. I am going with the Simonton 5500's. I couldn't hardly find a thing on the Windsors.

Bing

#4 Post by Bing »

Might ought to have gone with the Windsors. I did end up going with Simonton 5500s. Unless all windows are poor quality, I would have been better off with Windsor, or another. The Simonton's, all 12 of them, had a sash with a corner miter that is nearly 1/8 inch gap. Every one of them had the same corner of one of the sashes with that gap. Incredible. Contractor keeps saying Simonton will contact me. Not yet. Also, Simonton obviously does not care about excess flashing on the windows...so I suspect the quality control is poor.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Can you try to post up a picture? That's a welded sash, so I'm not exactly sure if you're referring to the shadow groove surface weld routing, tolerance between the master frame, or what? Sounds like somehow the welder was out of tolerance and keep making the same mistake and no one caught it at the plant regarding the QC folks. If so, how embarrassing for them.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Your dealer/installer should have this taken care of.
It is disappointing when initial quality failure occurs. The next test is what they do about it.
I tell my guys often that the last perfect carpenter was 2000 years ago, and he got crucified.

theWindowNerd.

Bing

#7 Post by Bing »

Update after a few months. Mostly pleased with the windows at this point. All the issues got fixed by the Simonton rep...fairly quickly. I still am wondering if a single hung would have been the way to go for me...as double hung is just more gaps to leak air. However, so far I've seen no condensation on the windows. That's incredible...as even my last windows 18 years back had condensation on the inside when new. Simonton's...not the most attractive window...but seemingly a decent performer thus far. Time will tell.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for the update Bing.