Choosing basement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Baul

Choosing basement windows

#1 Post by Baul »

Hey everyone,

I've been reading on basement windows for a while now. At first, I thought it would be a simple thing, but with all the information available, I learned that choosing the correct window is important. But how "high end" should basement windows be vs those for the rest of the house? Do people usually go one step below for these? For example: Okna 400 instead of 500, Vytex Georgetown instead of Fortis, etc.

I've gotten a few quotes to replace them. I would prefer sliders, but hoppers are more budget friendly and I really wouldn't be opening these windows a lot anyway. These are the quotes I've gotten, per window:

Okna 500: $483
Okna 400: $445
Vytex Fortis: $483
Vytex Georgetown (the only slider): $430

The only big difference is installation warranty, but all companies are highly rated.

Thanks in advance!

Windows on Washington

Re: Choosing basement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

No reason to go with the 400 here when the 500 is that close. The Fortis of the 500 are the best choices in that comparison and both great units.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've switched most of my basement window orders over to OKNA from Soft-Lite and Sunrise as they simply give me the most product for the money. I've not had a chance to do the Vytex hoppers yet so I can't comment on them. We do the 800 and 400 hoppers locally. I typically have folks not wanting to spend the extra loot on keeping with the 800 series over the 400 even though it's a very small amount.

They usually ask my advice as I tend to think of how I'm sizing and installing hopper or small sliders to foundation masonry openings. The 400 will not have an accessory groove while the 500/800 will. We perform a lot of mortar and concrete work to these so that can determine what series I thinks fits best.

I think WOW's advice is what I'd go with.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with DM.
The 400 will do a great job for you. Most of the time the exterior gets mortared.

Baul

#5 Post by Baul »

Thanks to all the pros for the input!

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

As WoW alluded to, it's only a couple more bucks to upgrade to the 500. Easy choice IMO. Why downgrade window quality just because they are in the basement? You are still expecting them to last as long and perform as well as the upper units, if anything they are subject to even more stress due to their location. I'd also say that the hopper units are a better choice. They seal very well with the q lon compression seal and provide more light to boot (compared to sliders).

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Also a hopper only has one sash, no center meeting rail, and no pocket sill.