Need Help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Wes41094

Need Help

#1 Post by Wes41094 »

Ok so here is the deal. We currently have Anderson wood Windows that look fine but do not operate correctly. Several are casements (11) and (7) double hungs (3) picture Windows with interior stain. Some of the casements won't close when opened and almost all windows are showing signs of water getting inside. We're are going to paint the interior trim work white and get away from the stain
I've got 4 estimates so far from local companies
Gilkey - $17890 after $150 off per window and some other bs discounts (triple pane)
Windows Plus -soft lite elements $13485
Windows Direct- sunrise restorations- $13,600 or full frame for $20,100 includes brickmould exterior and new interior casing ... They also quoted Slocomb 677 for $9,862
Window World 4000 series with solar zone glass $7780

I like the idea of doing a full frame replacement so the windows would look more original to the house instead of aluminum trim on the exterior. But not sure if the cost is worth it. Any recommendations?
Right now I'm leaning toward Windows Plus or Windows Direct. Any opinion on which Windows offer the best bang for the buck? I do prefer the look of the Sunrise Windows over all the others. The Elements and Slocomb honestly looked the same to me and the window world 4000 just looked cheap. I'm pretty much ruling out Gilkey because I didn't like the sales rep. There window seemed pretty good though but I also didn't like the big bulky look. So pretty much need help with standard vs full frame replacement and what window is the best deal

Windows on Washington

Re: Need Help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am in the same logic boat as your are.

Elements or Restorations.

Full tear vs. insert just depends on if you are okay with the frame reveal and look.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like full frame replacement for a couple of reasons:
1. it maintains visible glass area.
2. it allows foaming in between the the RO and the window frame
3. It provides new interior trim, stools and design change options.

The down side is the additional cost, ~ $275. per window in primed, and time.

Wes41094

#4 Post by Wes41094 »

TheWindowNerd wrote:I like full frame replacement for a couple of reasons:
1. it maintains visible glass area.
2. it allows foaming in between the the RO and the window frame
3. It provides new interior trim, stools and design change options.

The down side is the additional cost, ~ $275. per window in primed, and time.

Do you see people install both ways on the same job? It seams to me that doing the full tear out on the casements is the only way to go because of how the insert will sit but on the double hungs (back of house) the normal type of install would be less noticeable because the new Windows would go behind the wall/trim slightly. Also what about two different window brands? I've pretty much decided on the Restorations for the casements as they looked much nicer and weren't boxy like everything else we saw. But am thinking of doing the Slocomb double hungs with normal installation everywhere else to save on cost over the Sunrise. The 677 Slocomb looked like a nice window and the company that is quoting said this window was there main product line they install and haven't had any issues with them.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Plenty of folks take the insert route and as long as the window has a narrow profile, the impact on visible glass is minimal.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes you can do both typed of installs on the same house.
I have one of those in my current go to measure pile, this job wants to make a window longer( a sill drop) and a full frame with jamb extension makes the most sense.
Ask the person doing the Sunrise casements to quote the Softlite Imperial LS for you.

Wes41094

#7 Post by Wes41094 »

TheWindowNerd wrote:Yes you can do both typed of installs on the same house.
I have one of those in my current go to measure pile, this job wants to make a window longer( a sill drop) and a full frame with jamb extension makes the most sense.
Ask the person doing the Sunrise casements to quote the Softlite Imperial LS for you.

Thanks for the advice everyone. We've decided on the Sunrise Restorations casements full replacement on the front and will do the rest next year. (Leaning toward inserts on the back) I'm a little disappointment in the time frame though. I had no Idea it takes so long to get windows. They're quoting me 8-14 weeks before they could start. Is that normal?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

If they are backed up, that would be normal.

We run about 6-8 year round and longer in the busy season.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We also are running 6 to 8 weeks currently.
I find that most people are okay with six weeks , but beyond that you begin to stress the client.
But if we get beyond 8 weeks we tell everyone right from the start that we are that long to schedule.

theWindowNerd.

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

We can get backed up 6-8 weeks as well. However, I would think they could narrow the time frame down slightly. Telling homeowners 8-14 weeks is too big of a window, IMO.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

6-8 typically here as well, although we are pushing 8-10 now as we get into fall... I'd agree that 8-14 is a little broad.

The Restorations casement is very nice, you will be happy with that choice. Even if you switch the installation style for the back of the house (which can be done as long as there is some rhyme or reason), I'd recommend sticking with the same brand window. It just makes everything much easier for future warranty service, etc. The Restorations double hung is pretty good as long as you get the proper glass choice for your region.