PGT Insulated Window Failures

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Radoc5

PGT Insulated Window Failures

#1 Post by Radoc5 »

I installed insulated PGT windows in my home in Florida. At 7 years over half of the windows fogged inside due to failure of the seals. PGT supplied replacement panes but I had to pay for the labor for installation ($5000) I had over 20 panes that went bad. If I had that many fail wonder if any else out there had a similar experience or know of where I can go to find out.

Windows on Washington

Re: PGT Insulated Window Failures

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

So 20 sashes went bad and someone charged you $250 to deglaze and reglaze each of those 20 sashes?

sunnydaze

#3 Post by sunnydaze »

We just purchased a 3 year old home in Naples, FL and found there is a defective window seal in every slider in the home. The windows have defective seals and now we have stripes and label squares on the interior of the glass. We contacted the supplier and PGT and neither will honor their warranty because we are not the "original" owner of the home. We find this BAD BUSINESS as a warranty is a warranty. If they're not willing to stand by their product, then they are misleading the purchaser. Our options are to sue the seller or to pay $40k+ to have the seals repaired. I can tell you that neither option will involve purchasing anything from PGT!

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think I shall move to Florida to reglaze PGT windows.
The warranties are fairly clear and concise, they are not transferable. A good home inspection should have brought this to your attention prior to settlement.
In general their IG warranty is not bad:
1 year stress crack, no labor
25 year seal failure, no labor.
They are very clear also about films void the warranty.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

sunnydaze wrote:We just purchased a 3 year old home in Naples, FL and found there is a defective window seal in every slider in the home. The windows have defective seals and now we have stripes and label squares on the interior of the glass. We contacted the supplier and PGT and neither will honor their warranty because we are not the "original" owner of the home. We find this BAD BUSINESS as a warranty is a warranty. If they're not willing to stand by their product, then they are misleading the purchaser. Our options are to sue the seller or to pay $40k+ to have the seals repaired. I can tell you that neither option will involve purchasing anything from PGT!
Was the window seal issue not discovered during the home inspection? This would have been the time to require the original owner to have all the of the defective units replaced under warranty and many times, manufacturers can charge for a warranty inspection and transfer the balance of the warranty to the new owner.

SamanthaPFl

#6 Post by SamanthaPFl »

First time hiring a contractor, First time buying windows. Replaced every window in my home Feb 2020. A year later I noticed large rubber pieces on the sides of the slider window in the front of the home coming out, actually noticed from the outside! After some research I learned this is the seal on the double pane glass coming out. I called the contractor multiple times with zero luck.. seems as though he vanished..with no luck there I emailed the warranty department through PGT website, after a few days I received an email asking for the order number. Shocker! I have no order number..the contractor switched 2 side windows and a painted glass window to a large window in the front, approx 13 ft long, 2 side sliders and a large picture window in the middle. I emailed PGT back with pictures of the seals and a picture of the labels on the windows. This was 4 business days ago. Have not heard anything yet. Prior to emailing PGT I got an estimate to replace it, approx 18K. I had also scheduled a repair guy that came out today to measure. He will get me the quote by the end of the week. Has anyone had any luck w PGT? I'm semi hopeful they can assist but I'd be surprised if they do since I have zero information on the window. I didn't pick it out, he drew a picture of the front of the home with the new configuration and I agreed. Before it's pointed out, I understand this is 100% my lack of knowledge when hiring a contractor. My father was a contractor and could build you anything. Unfortunately he passed at 59 years old in 2017. I was fortunate enough to never have to hire someone. Never had to second guess my father's word or work!