Metal stiffener shifted on the keeper of my vinyl window.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
raysu12

Metal stiffener shifted on the keeper of my vinyl window.

#1 Post by raysu12 »

Hello all,

Looking for some advice on how to remedy my issue.

I DIY'd a frosted film install and since the keeper was in the way, I removed it. Unfortunately, with no knowledge of windows, I did not realize there was a "metal stiffener" (as Jeld-wen puts it) inside the frame that could shift. So, now the screw holds don't line up and the hole is too close to the window for my drill to drill straight in to create another hole. Is there a way to readjust it again without having to tear the window out or something so that I can find the screw holes again?

Thanks in advance for your help!

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Metal stiffener shifted on the keeper of my vinyl window.

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

raysu12 wrote:Hello all,

Looking for some advice on how to remedy my issue.

I DIY'd a frosted film install and since the keeper was in the way, I removed it. Unfortunately, with no knowledge of windows, I did not realize there was a "metal stiffener" (as Jeld-wen puts it) inside the frame that could shift. So, now the screw holds don't line up and the hole is too close to the window for my drill to drill straight in to create another hole. Is there a way to readjust it again without having to tear the window out or something so that I can find the screw holes again?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I assume it's a top sash of a double hung, a few things you can do. First thing I'd try is to remove the top sash and just tilt the sash back in forth to see if the reinforcement will slide back to the original position. If this doesn't work you can drill new holes with a metal bit. The longer bit you have the less of an angle the bit will be relative to your glass so you should be able to drill new holes. A third option which I wouldn't recommend for a diyer is to deglaze the window so you can get easy access to the holes. This is s relatively simple thing but if you don't know what your doing you can break the glass

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Have you attempted to put some stiff wire or a paperclip through the vinyl screw holes and catch the metal stiffener? If you can catch a hole in the stiffener you may be able to align it with vinyl?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

It requires a bit of ingenuity, but you can usually get them moved back into place and use the same holes like Mike said.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to Mike's recommendation. Depending on large the holes are and how tight the piece fits (ie: how freely it slides) you may need to get creative on finding the right tool for the job. A really small(thin) phillips head screwdriver or something like that could work as well.

Kraltendorf

#6 Post by Kraltendorf »

We were able to resolve this on a vertical locking mechanism by reinserting the screw in the bottom hole, pressing firmly against the metal and then lifting up. Another person had a small Allen wrench in the top hole and held the shifted metal in the new position. We did this repeatedly until we moved it up enough that the Allen wrench went through! What a relief. A good reminder to always read the instructions first.