Soft-Lite windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Soft-Lite windows

#16 Post by masterext »

Jakester wrote:I know you can't trust the big box stores as they don't know much about the important details of the product that they sell.

M budget is $300 per window uninstalled of course since I will be installing myself. The thing is I have 17 windows and since I don't plan to live in this house more than 10 years I don't want to spend more than I have too.
Good luck. Sorry you didnt get the answers you wanted to hear.

Jakester

#17 Post by Jakester »

It is what it is. I was quoted $229 for a Soft-Lite Barrington which isn't a bad window so I'm sure for $300 I should be able to get something decent. Yes I won't get a Okan or Sunrise window but I don't really need a high end window.

Delaware Mike

#18 Post by Delaware Mike »

Would it be correct to assume that the SL Barrington is the forerunner right now to purchase cash and carry? Installed into a normal era wood pocket via an inside/out method leaving the exterior stops undisturbed is pretty straight forward. The Barrington is a pretty normal vinyl window to install without a lot of tricks needed. Best of luck.

Jakester

#19 Post by Jakester »

Yes the Soft-Lite Barrington is one on top of the list right now. Before I found out about Soft-Lite window on the site I was debating between The Alside Mezzo and Simonton 5500 which both were around $225-250 per window and with the Barrington being $229, wouldn't that make it a no brainer to go with the Barrington even though it is a entry window from Soft-Lite?

Delaware Mike

#20 Post by Delaware Mike »

I can't see any problems with that logic. I've installed every line from SL in the past and you should be fine even though the Barrington is more stripped down than the Bainbridge, Classic, and Pro. The LS and Elements are in another league in terms of design and price so you can't touch them within the confines of your price range yet alone trying to find a dealer that would opening sell them to you.

Jakester

#21 Post by Jakester »

Thanks Mike! The reason I think I would be better with the Soft Lite Barrington over Simonton 5500 and Alside Mezzo is that it has good rating for what it is. 0.07 air filtration is very good for a entry level window or am I missing something?

I will try to see if a can get a higher model from Soft-Lite that will be close to my budget.

Jakester

#22 Post by Jakester »

Am I right thinking this way?

The reason I think I would be better with the Soft Lite Barrington over Simonton 5500 and Alside Mezzo is that it has good rating for what it is. 0.07 air filtration is very good for a entry level window or am I missing something?

I will try to see if a can get a higher model from Soft-Lite that will be close to my budget.

toddinmn

#23 Post by toddinmn »

Jakester wrote:Am I right thinking this way?

The reason I think I would be better with the Soft Lite Barrington over Simonton 5500 and Alside Mezzo is that it has good rating for what it is. 0.07 air filtration is very good for a entry level window or am I missing something?

I would check out the Soft-Lite Pro, it has a beefier frame and comes standard with foam fill, foam spacer and sash reinforcement . The Barrington might cost more with these nice and recommended upgrades.

Windows on Washington

#24 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:I would check out the Soft-Lite Pro, it has a beefier frame and comes standard with foam fill, foam spacer and sash reinforcement . The Barrington might cost more with these nice and recommended upgrades.
You could say the Pro is better at doing what it does... :lol:

But in all seriousness, the Pro is better looking too. The weird drip cap on the Barrington looks strangely unfinished to me.

Randy

#25 Post by Randy »

Agree. The Barrington is an odd looking window.

Jakester

#26 Post by Jakester »

Thanks Gents for the info!

Delaware Mike

#27 Post by Delaware Mike »

Keep us updated as to if ABC can obtain a SL Pro over the Barrington for you a fair price. You are not that far from me and I have friends and homeowners in Avondale that I'm overdue for a visit.

Jakester

#28 Post by Jakester »

ABC doesn't carry Soft-Lite windows. The quote I got was from a local dealer, I need to go visit their store to get the the pricing for SL's other models but can't seem to make my way over with the hours i work.

TheWindowNerd

#29 Post by TheWindowNerd »

DM can help you just do a search for JMJ Windows.
Or theWindowNerd.

Jakester

#30 Post by Jakester »

Haven't heard of JMJ Windows.