Replacing windows in Living room

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
SusanneX10

Replacing windows in Living room

#1 Post by SusanneX10 »

To enjoy the soothing natural sunlight and to decimate the heating concern during terrible winters I want to get floor to ceiling windows installed in my living room. My bedroom and dining rooms have additional fixed windows to let in more sunlight and as part of the renovation work to upgrade my home I just thought about floor to ceiling windows in my living room. There are about eight normal rectangular windows at present, so how can I move about this? The interior walls are wood. Comments invited….

SusanneX10

Re: Replacing windows in Living room

#2 Post by SusanneX10 »

Is there any DIY method to get this done or should I hire a professional to accomplish this? My friend suggested me to go for a professional so as not to invoke more risk to the walls. Suggestions requested.

WindowsDirectCinci

#3 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

SusanneX10 wrote:Is there any DIY method to get this done or should I hire a professional to accomplish this? My friend suggested me to go for a professional so as not to invoke more risk to the walls. Suggestions requested.
You would most definitely want to hire a professional for a project like this. If you already have Windows and want to lower them only and not change the height or width than the job would be much easier and less costly. Altering the height or width typically requires a new header and cripples and depending on where your located an inspection from the building inspector. I've seen to many times when people didn't properly prep the opening before enlarging an opening to add doors/windows. This will lead to drywall/ceiling cracking if your lucky and roof damage/collapsing at worse. There are also safety and code requirements for windows that extend to low to the floor, so staying just above those could also save you a bundle.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Susanne,

This is sounding like a job for a professional and one with some framing experience. You will have to restructure the entire wall to get the look and window arrangement that you are going for.

Not at all impossible, just time consuming and likely to be expensive.

The look would be stunning and when it is done properly, there is no replacement for the daylight and grandeur of that look.

SusanneX10

#5 Post by SusanneX10 »

True...I require complete replacement of my existing windows... So you suggest me to hire a professional to avoid risks and I think that will be wise. Thank you for the kind advice.