Replacement Window Questions

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
wmj0981

Replacement Window Questions

#1 Post by wmj0981 »

Hello all,

I live in Wylie, TX, and we were hit pretty hard with hailstorms this past April. We fired our window guy about 4 weeks ago (we had accepted his bid in June, and in October the windows still weren't done!) We then listened to the sales pitches from Champion, Woodbridge Home Exteriors, and Statewide Remodeling, but all the salespeople were chintzy and while their windows looked nice, all they convinced us was that their windows were not worth the $12,000-$20,000 they were after. We've now got two different quotes for windows and I wanted to get opinions. These quotes are from the same company

Quote 1
Berkshire Elite Vinyl Replacement Windows
Single Hung 3 1/4 Main Frame with Low-E XPSC
& Argon Gas
5 windows, $2838

Cardinal 240
Replacement of 2-dual pane, Cardinal 240/clear (low-e)
2 windows, $280

Quote 2
Tectview AC Single Hung
White, exact size, no nailing fin, DP25, LOE 340,
DSB, Preserve, Argon, Nite Vents, Half Screen,
Fiberglass
8 Windows, $3806

The reason for the second quote is that insurance has only provided for replacement of windows that were broken in the storm, but there are 3 windows that are next to broken windows that insurance will not pay for. So after getting the first quote for just the broken windows (and glazing strips/replacement glass on 2 of the other 3 windows) we asked for a quote for all 8 windows so they'd match cosmetically. I'm not sure why the first quote was one type of window and the second quote was for a different type of window, and I wasn't home during the contractors walk through so I wasn't able to see what the replacement windows were or what any differences might have been.

Any thoughts? I appreciate everyone's time!

~Bill

Randy

Re: Replacement Window Questions

#2 Post by Randy »

I understand why you were put-off by Champion, Woodbridge Home Exteriors, and Statewide Remodeling. Let’s don’t go to the other extreme though and purchase windows that you may not be as pleased with in five years.

If you’re looking for mid-grade vinyl windows, I’d recommend looking at NT’s lines - Presidential, Traditions, or Energy Masters. If you’re wanting a better quality of window, Sunrise has dealers in the DFW market other than Statewide who will provide you with better pricing.

wmj0981

#3 Post by wmj0981 »

Randy,

I appreciate your response. So I guess that those windows are low end windows then? The insurance company didn't really give us that much for the windows, only about $1,500, so even at that quote we were looking at a lot of out of pocket expenses. The windows that we had were aluminum windows, builder-grade from when the house was built in 2006 (though we've never really had any problems with them).

How much better would mid-grade windows really be? When looking at the higher end windows, I looked at how much energy savings they would give me, and realized that it'd be DECADES before the amount of savings on my electric bill approached the difference in cost. Also, I looked at the three NT windows you mentioned - I didn't really see much difference between the three (the Presidential did list a few features that the other two didn't have, but the Traditions and Energy Masters listed pretty much the same features).

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

When looking at different vinyl windows, they typically look alike, and the NFRC values are fairly similar as well, particularly when they’re using the same glass package. The differences are typically in the manufacturing tolerances, fit and finish, strength and rigidity of extrusions and reliability of the manufacturer in case of issues down the road. In my experience, I’d put NT ahead of the companies you had mentioned in all of these areas.

Windows are the only home improvement project that have the ability to transform both the interior and exterior of your home at the same time - all while making your home more comfortable and efficient. Additionally, it’s a project you only want to do once, so spending a little more to avoid the lower tier of windows is a wise investment IMO.

Another option would be to get a quote on Simonton 5500 or Prism series windows. Just make sure they add the optional sash reinforcement.

wmj0981

#5 Post by wmj0981 »

Thanks Randy! The representative from NTWindow's DFW Dealer (Brennan) was a breath of fresh air! So far they've bent over backwards to earn our business!

We're set to get replacement Traditions double-hung windows, and are excited to get our windows finally replaced!

Thanks again for your advice.

~Bill

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

You’re very welcome Bill. Glad to hear it’s all worked out well for you!