Okna Windows Reviews - Prices, Dealer Locator

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Windows on Washington

Re: Okna windows

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

Vote 4 for foam. Ask the installer for clarification and see what they come up with.

I am sure they can detail it out for you or do the proper foaming.

TheWindowNerd

#17 Post by TheWindowNerd »

On the DX versions the foam wrap is just part of the package.
As has been mentioned your installer is responsible for making sure the unit is sealed, that can be done a variety of ways, so tell them what you prefer.
I agree that closed cell W&D foam is the best method, but not the only good method.

theWindowNerd.

Delaware Mike

#18 Post by Delaware Mike »

I agree with all of my fellow window pros, however The Window Nerd makes a great point. The bottom is super easy and fast to inject spray foam as is the top most of the time unless a head expander it utilized. The sides can be a little more tricky. Typical tight measuring of a replacement window deducts .250" off of the make width of the unit to the wood opening width. I'd estimate that about 80% of all window openings require kicking the bottom to the top of the new insert window to opposing corners of out of level, square, and plumb window openings.

This will force at lease one side corner area of the new window tight to a jamb on wood pocket replacement type of installation. I've utilized every pro foam gun on the market plus all stainless, PVC, and brass reducer nozzle tips to help get into the smallest of gaps. Sometimes encapsulating every single square inch of the jamb area is impossible. Good installers will problem solve and make sure that the off-set of the master window frame is well sealed in these circumstances and air and water tight. Most of us are familiar with thermal imagining and energy audits and want our premium products to shine well married to our masterful installations.

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Ah I love DM
.250" , you a machinist at heart.

theWindowNerd.

Weatherman

#20 Post by Weatherman »

Delaware Mike wrote:I agree with all of my fellow window pros, however The Window Nerd makes a great point. The bottom is super easy and fast to inject spray foam as is the top most of the time unless a head expander it utilized. The sides can be a little more tricky. Typical tight measuring of a replacement window deducts .250" off of the make width of the unit to the wood opening width. I'd estimate that about 80% of all window openings require kicking the bottom to the top of the new insert window to opposing corners of out of level, square, and plumb window openings.

This will force at lease one side corner area of the new window tight to a jamb on wood pocket replacement type of installation. I've utilized every pro foam gun on the market plus all stainless, PVC, and brass reducer nozzle tips to help get into the smallest of gaps. Sometimes encapsulating every single square inch of the jamb area is impossible. Good installers will problem solve and make sure that the off-set of the master window frame is well sealed in these circumstances and air and water tight. Most of us are familiar with thermal imagining and energy audits and want our premium products to shine well married to our masterful installations.

He said there was a head expander and that it was needed because there was no stop I think he said. He also told me earlier on that it had a constant force but when he pulled off the side piece you could see the cord so I believe it must be a block and tackle.

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

He who.
A head expander comes with most vinyl replacement windows. The use is varied depending on the installer and the field/site conditions.
Some windows have B&T some constant force. What mfg do you want to know about?

theWindowNerd.

Weatherman

#22 Post by Weatherman »

I am commenting about Okna windows and the person who came that sells and installs Okna.
He was here last Thursday and said he would work up a quote and I have not heard back. I don't know how he gets much business if this is the way he operates. Everything went smoothly at the appointment so I can't figure it out.

toddinmn

#23 Post by toddinmn »

Weatherman wrote:I am commenting about Okna windows and the person who came that sells and installs Okna.
He was here last Thursday and said he would work up a quote and I have not heard back. I don't know how he gets much business if this is the way he operates. Everything went smoothly at the appointment so I can't figure it out.
He's busy, doesn't care,or forgot.

TheWindowNerd

#24 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would contact the sales person that showed you the Okna and inquire about the delay in getting a quote to you. Besides irresponsibility things can and do happen.

theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#25 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Running a small business, a bunch of things can slip through. I know I am guilty of it more often than I care to admit.

Weatherman

#26 Post by Weatherman »

I contacted the person a couple of days ago and got no response so I contacted Okna today and asked if there were any other dealers around and was told that they are so far away that it is doubtful they would travel that far. Good to know now because if the person and or company I talked to was not around for any reason I probably would not be able to get service unless NewPro would service them. No thanks. Looks like Soft Lite out of the available choices.

Don K.

#27 Post by Don K. »

Weatherman wrote:I contacted the person a couple of days ago and got no response so I contacted Okna today and asked if there were any other dealers around and was told that they are so far away that it is doubtful they would travel that far. Good to know now because if the person and or company I talked to was not around for any reason I probably would not be able to get service unless NewPro would service them. No thanks. Looks like Soft Lite out of the available choices.
I can relate to your situation as I ran into more or less same little over year ago with some casement windows. Eventually had to settle for lesser regarded window and installer. However, I lucked out as installer was one of better from that franchised group. So ended with lower quality window (which I’m not certain about) but a great install in my view. So wish you well going forward.

TheWindowNerd

#28 Post by TheWindowNerd »

SL makes some great products: elements and imp. ls to be specific.

theWindowNerd.

Weatherman

#29 Post by Weatherman »

He ended up getting back to me. We had some emails previously. I mentioned that when I called Okna they did not give me his name but instead gave me NewPro even though he is closer to me than they are. He is about 20 to 30 minutes from me. He forwarded the email to someone at Okna and even thanked me for sending it so he could make a point.

500 DX with double pane LowE argon Uvalue .25 would be $580 per window including Install new white aluminum casings on all window sills and casings. I guess that would be capping since he said the price would include that.

800 DX double pane $632 per window

500 DX triple pane LowE argon 648 per window

800 DX triple pane $700 per window

Not sure but with capping included I would think the prices are very decent.

Windows on Washington

#30 Post by Windows on Washington »

For the offset in price, I like the 800, Triple Pane option.

There are only a handful of windows in that performance class. Any of them are a great deal at that price.