PP2 Glass Replacement - Houston - Question on Color

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mdjtlj

PP2 Glass Replacement - Houston - Question on Color

#1 Post by mdjtlj »

Greetings,

We have a few windows (about 15) that have either an upper or lower half that is fogged. We had a contractor come out and provide a quote on replacement glass on these units. These windows are in Houston (old Champion Windows).

Understand that the units have PP2 glass that is no longer available, they are suggesting the following specification for the replacements (this is an example of just one of the windows):

=======
1/4" Grey Swiggle - 1/8" Clear - 1/8" Grey - 1/2" Overall Thickness Double Insulated Glass Unit
33 1/8 x 28 1/4 6/6 Bottom (3050 6/6 Bottom)
=======

They then indicate that the PP2 existing glass is no longer made and the only way that they can match the glass is by using the Grey glass indicated above.

After doing some research online, of which there is not a lot on the PP2 replacement, I noted that there was an indication that green was the closest that you can get to PP2, I did not find any mention of Grey. Knowing that this is an obscure subject, thought I'd come here to see if you guys had any comments as to how to replace this glass and what the specification should be.

What I'm concerned about is that if we have three windows next to each other on the front of the house and only one has replacement glass fitted, how different will it be? Can you tell from inside or outside due to the change from PP2 to Grey?

Windows on Washington

Re: PP2 Glass Replacement - Houston - Question on Color

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

In my experience, the offset between Low-e coating is slight if we are in similar ranges and only notable when they are right next to each other.

Is Champion going to replace the glass under warranty?

mdjtlj

#3 Post by mdjtlj »

Unfortunately, Champion doesn't have an office here in Houston anymore and we are out of their service area.

So, from your reply (Windows on Washington), if only the lower is fogged and the upper is not, if you replace the lower section only, it'd be noticeable?

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

I would suggest replacing both the upper and lower IG units.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depending on the cost for the replacement, you might get to a point where a new window makes better sense.

Can't you just swap out the sashes or are they single hungs. If you can swap out the sashes, why can't they just ship you the sashes under warranty?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

another thought, have them make a small 2' x 2' sample piece for you to hold up and see if you approve.
Yep they should charge you for it , but it will help make sure that what happens meets with your approval.

theWindowNerd