CHAMBERS+SILLS+BEADS

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TomC

CHAMBERS+SILLS+BEADS

#1 Post by TomC »

Looking for help on the following.
1 - Is it better to have more chambers in the sill? How many is enough?
2 - Are sills that are level under the sash and then slope better than those that slope even under the sash?
3 - Is it better to have the glass bead on the inside of the sash?
I'm trying to decide on the Alside Excalibur or Gorell 5100 window. Price and installers are comparable.
Thanks much

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

I am sure opinions will vary on this one... but here's mine.

1) The mulitple chambers provide separate air spaces and add strength to the sill. The difference in overall performance of the window based on number of chambers or foam fill is nominal with most competitive quality brands.

2) The level or sloped sills effectiveness depends on the design of the bottom of the sash it receives. I am not a promoter of the stepped sills. They not only collect debris but they are commonly used only to allow the manufacturer to use the same extrusion for the sill that they do for the sides and top of the frame... makes for easier miters too... thus simplifying and reducing their cost.

3) I think the only benefits to an interior glazing bead is that it is not subjected to the environment and cannot be removed with a butterknife from the outside. Many windows these days are adequately wet glazed with silicone and if I was a burglar... I'd break the glass.. not surgically remove it.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

I can agree with FenX on these things. I'd also add that stepped sills seem to puddle water a lot. Here in the North land that can cause ice build up when it freezes. So we never like to see that puddle on the sill. I've also seen some of the less chambered windows get ice build up under the sash in the window pocket. Radiant cold air through the weep holes will cause any water to freeze under the sash. Better windows with nice sloped sill drain off and stay clean.

As for what side you have the glazing bead on is a toss up. Either way you work it as a burglar you have to use a putty knife to cut through the tape. I myself will drop my shoulder into your door and be in your house in a heartbeat! Much easier!!