Estimate Help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rowerms

Re: Estimate Help

#16 Post by rowerms »

Well. I pulled the trigger on the Elements TP. $5824 installed. Technical measurements are being done in the next few days. Windows should be installed right after spring arrives and the cold air goes away. :lol:

Thanks everyone

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

You are going to be very happy with that choice, and for a long time. :)

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Super performance window and should really work well.

Double Hung

#19 Post by Double Hung »

Best of luck with your project - you have made a good choice!

rowerms

#20 Post by rowerms »

Windows were done about a week ago, still getting use to the way they look compared to the old industrial looking steel casements. One day install and from what I can tell so far the only downside is a few of the old sills cracked, which I'll take considering how messy that removal is.

Thanks for the help

WindowsDirectCinci

#21 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

FYI You can get new marble sills for @ $50 and they're pretty easy to change out even after the windows have been installed. Unfortunately removing those steel casements with marble sills they can occasionally crack. We usually replace them when they do and its not that big of a hassle

rowerms

#22 Post by rowerms »

Looking into finishing off the job and getting the old wood windows on my enclosed porch replaced. 3 windows with transoms above are almost as much as the rest of the house was. :lol:

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sometimes that is the case. There definitely is NOT a direct link between size and cost....sadly.

rowerms

#24 Post by rowerms »

Out of curiosity, and without visiting showrooms to compare window designs....

How different is the look of one brand of white vinyl window compared to another? I really don't need a window as high quality as the Elements considering the porch is not heated or cooled. Would stepping down to a lower grade Softlite window be the best option? Would I be able to bid it out all over again and not have to worry too much about the windows being a different brand?

The house is all double hung windows, the porch would likely be sliders or casements. The front window is roughly 98"wx67"h and the side is roughly 67"wx67"h. The third one is a slim stationary window approx 14"wx67"h

HomeSealed

#25 Post by HomeSealed »

Were you happy with the product and install/install company on the first phase? If so, you are really rolling the dice if you were to veer away from that. There's a reason that this industry has a bad reputation, so if you've found one of the good guys, stick with them.
As far as the product itself, I don't think that it would be out of the question to install a more economical model from the same brand on the unheated porch. Not saying that it is definitely the right thing either, as quality is quality even if its unheated, but it would be worth getting a price IMO. I think that most Elements dealers use either the Bainbridge or Barrington as their economy model.

rowerms

#26 Post by rowerms »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:35 pm Were you happy with the product and install/install company on the first phase? If so, you are really rolling the dice if you were to veer away from that. There's a reason that this industry has a bad reputation, so if you've found one of the good guys, stick with them.
As far as the product itself, I don't think that it would be out of the question to install a more economical model from the same brand on the unheated porch. Not saying that it is definitely the right thing either, as quality is quality even if its unheated, but it would be worth getting a price IMO. I think that most Elements dealers use either the Bainbridge or Barrington as their economy model.
No issues with he product/service at all on the first go round. I'm just having a hard time with a $4700 price tag on 2 large sliders, 1 tall/narrow fixed window, and 3 transoms. Even without the transoms it is ~$3500. No steel casement removal. No access issues.

I already know they use the Barrington..I wish it was the Bainbridge.

There's a good Polaris dealer in town, that's where my question is really coming into play. (Mid grade polaris vs Softlite Barrington vs accepting the law of averages evening out on me).

Just weighing my options. No real rush on the project, just a little shell shocked.

uncle eddie

#27 Post by uncle eddie »

If the guy’s pricing was fair on the first phase, no reason to think it is on the second. I agree with the above, be careful about over analyzing things.

rowerms

#28 Post by rowerms »

Since I can't find a PM function, I'll put this here.

I found an OKNA dealer in NKY, America's Window. From what I can find via reviews and old posts on both this site and similar forums frequented by the same experts, its a good company. Planning on getting a quote on the 500's.

One lingering question: Have they changed ownership recently? Business models? They a churning DOZENS of google reviews every week lately, and almost every individual has done 4 reviews. One for each Window's America Page. It seems.....off. Tell me I am over analyzing.

HomeSealed

#29 Post by HomeSealed »

rowerms wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:27 pm Since I can't find a PM function, I'll put this here.

I found an OKNA dealer in NKY, America's Window. From what I can find via reviews and old posts on both this site and similar forums frequented by the same experts, its a good company. Planning on getting a quote on the 500's.

One lingering question: Have they changed ownership recently? Business models? They a churning DOZENS of google reviews every week lately, and almost every individual has done 4 reviews. One for each Window's America Page. It seems.....off. Tell me I am over analyzing.
I'd say that you are over analyzing. Good company to my knowledge, one of the larger Okna dealers in the country. Same ownership. Regarding the reviews, its likely that they have a new tool or process to ask for reviews. Pretty common stuff. I'll say that while they do a pretty good amount of business there, dozens of reviews per week with any consistency is outstanding.

WindowsDirectCinci

#30 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

There are companies that can be hired to post positive reviews. A good way to get banned from google.... I took a look at there online reviews and it does seem strange they have multiple word for word reviews for each of there locations posted by the same names and those are the only reviews those "people" posted. Seams odd. Maybe all those people were sooo thrilled with there job they took it upon themselves to spend a lot of time talking up the company on there different locations google sites.