Replacing 1936 wood windows - the beginning steps

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
sis1

Replacing 1936 wood windows - the beginning steps

#1 Post by sis1 »

I am at the very first stages of research to replace an entire house of windows (17) All but three are double hung, either single or paired.
I like the existing windows. If I could just change out the single pane glass for double paned with low-e, I would. This isn't an option however since there is not enough wood in the mullions for the new panes. Besides, the existing ones need to be stripped of paint (lead?) and I don't have all of the time in the world. :)
Since I live on the Central Coast in CA, I don't have the freezing winter issues of many of the other members. I would like solid wood replacement sashes, with low-e and good SHGC glass. If I can keep the counter weights, all the better.
The standard window sites (Andersen, Marvin, Pella, Jeld-Wen) have been visited and I do have catalogs for each. But each of them seem to clad the outside with aluminum or vinyl. Jeld-Wen's site does have a section on the special wood (treatment?) to prevent termites and weathering. But I have seen forums about JW's wood issues.
Will I have to go to a custom shop for my new windows? Since I haven't started the pricing portion, I equate custom with $$$. Perhaps I am mistaken. I remember an episode of TOH which had a tour of a wood window manufacturer (perhaps in Canada?) but couldn't find reference to the episode while searching the website.
I don't know if it hurts or helps, but I don't mind replacing one or two windows at a time. (Although I would think there would be some level of cost savings if done all at once.) There is no rush to replace all of the windows, besides my dislike of PG&E and their utility bills.
Any advice on keeping the same type of period wood windows and getting the advantages of current technology would be most appreciated!
Sis1[/b]

Dean S

#2 Post by Dean S »

I think most of the companies you mentioned have a wood sash replacement kit without cladding. I would go to each website and find a dealer near you.

The windows you have are probably Douglas Fir while most windows today are made of pine. Marvin has Douglas Fir as an option which is expensive but Loewen makes it standard. I would definitely contact them. Fir doesn't rot like pine and if you're near the coast you'll be better off with it and, yes, it's worth the extra money.

sis1

#3 Post by sis1 »

Thanks Dean S. Your advice on the Douglas fir is a point I hadn't thought of. A couple of the windows have been stripped of paint, and besides being very white, I couldn't distinguish the type of wood. It doesn't match the trim, that I can tell you :-)
I will do further research with the largest manufacturers concerning the outside cladding. I am looking at two of the local window manufacturers as well.