Schuco warranty question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Liz

Schuco warranty question

#1 Post by Liz »

I received an estimate for 7 casement Schuco windows coming in about $4100 including tax and installation with krypton and triple pane. Is this a good price? I have looked at the warranty and am pleased with it except for "insulated glass unit - limited lifetime" for the sealed insulated gas. It is fully covered aginst defects until the 10th year anniversary when it goes down to 50% from years 11 to 15 and then further down until 25 years where it is only 10% they will pay for replacement if there is a failure. Considering that someone made a comment somewhere that these windows last 80 to 300 years, isn't this something of a surprise? How does it compare to other window warranties against insulated glass seal? Is this a good enough warranty?

By the way, Simonton Impressions 9800 came in with a much higher quote of $1750 more for the same casement windows but they claim they have a full "lifetime warranty" on the seal.

Any comments?

Liz

Mark

#2 Post by Mark »

What is the UI size ( UI = height inches + width inches) of your 7 casement windows? My size is 98. I received a quote for 3 double-pane Schuco casements (with safety glass which adds like $40 per window) that is almost exactly the same per window as your quote. Considering that you are getting triple-pane, I would have thought that you would be paying more (unless your windows are smaller).

I have a copy of a Schuco warranty in front of me and it doesn't say anything about type of window (such as casement, or double hung, or slider, etc) and it says that the Insulated Glass Unit has a limited lifetime warrantywhich means Free for years 0 - 20. Years 21 - 30 - 80% of selling price [whether it is the current or original selling price, it doesn't say]. Beyond 30 years - 90%. Maybe one of us has an old warranty?

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

It appears you were both given old Schuco warranties. All of the current warranties are Lifetime, non-prorated and transferrable.

Liz

#4 Post by Liz »

Thanks for your replies.

Mark, five of the windows are 92 UI and two are 70.

FenEx, the salesman just faxed me the warranty this morning. You say it is old. If that is the case, the competence level of my salesman is not that impressive. I shall call headquarters and have them fax me the latest warranty. Thanks.

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

Liz

The warranty and other aspects of the Schuco products improve often... that's part of why I like them. Do you really think that makes your salesman less competent? Sheesh... the changes work in your favor.

Mark

#6 Post by Mark »

I'm hoping that when the Schuco website gets it re-do, then valueable information, like the current warranty, will be there, and we, the homeowners, won't have to rely on the salespeople (who sometimes have outdated sales literature).

If Liz wouldn't have posted here, she might very well have decided based on the product having a 10 year full warranty - her loss and it could only be blamed on the salesman providing old information. When the website gets updated, at the very least the salesman could say "This is a printed copy of the warranty that I have, but be sure and check on the Schuco website because the warranty of the Schuco products improve often!"

Sometimes what sounds like a complaint from a homeowner might really be a suggestion on how to improve (because we want to like the product even more, and we want to be proud of our choice).

FenEx - is there any current website, or link, you know of, that has the current Schuco warranty?

art

#7 Post by art »

For what it's worth, I had Schuco's installed last month. However, at the time I placed the order the dealer called the Schuco Territory rep and explained that I wanted the new warranty. I spoke with the rep and agreed to settle for the warranty on letterhead as they hadn't received the printed forms yet.

A few days before my scheduled install, voila! - I get a letter from Schuco stating that the letter would serve as an update to the new lifetime warranty.

Works for me - I now have a lifetime warranty on the windows and my dealer provided a lifetime warranty on the install.