New York City -- Landmark district windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
timo

New York City -- Landmark district windows

#1 Post by timo »

Hello all. Been search through the posts, great site.

I'm working on a project which involves replacing the double-hung windows in a 1890s brownstone in Brooklyn, just off Prospect Park if you know the area. The brownstone (townhouse) is in a landmarked district, and the existing aluminum windows/panning combination is not only ugly, difficult to use (spiral balances) but it is technically not allowed.

The building's also missing its cornice, but that's for another forum!

The existing masonry openings are a combination of rectangular and cambered tops. I'm planning to rip out the old windows and panning, demo back to the masonry openings, and put in new 1-over-1 double hungs. Clad exteriors are not allowed in the district, so I can go with wood only.

I've been to the major sites, but it seems I'm in custom window land. Some questions:

• I need a cambered top, perhaps similar to the new Andersen (KML?) windows, but not clad and unfortunately probably a custom radius. I looked at Marvin's stock arch tops, but they don't work with the MO. Do the majors offer custom radii?

• I'll use my GC as the installer; he's good. We've previously put in Norwood windows (www.norwood.com) recommended to us by a window rep after I asked about Loewen windows. I like Norwoods because of the large number of custom sills and casement options, and their window prefinishing is good. But I don't like the jamb liners and other details. Can someone point me to a better "historic" window?

• I looked at some great Parrett windows with weights and pulleys -- nice! Not appropriate for my MOs, though. What is a good balance system?

• I'd look at custom windows, but in the past those guys have turned their noses up at small jobs like mine, and anyway I got nothing against the bigger outfits. Any leads?

Dean S

#2 Post by Dean S »

I think I know what kind of windows you're talking about. Marvin made several hundred similar windows for a building at Yale a few years back and the company I work for is quoting a similar job now. Marvin is unlimited in custom capabilities but they tend to get pricey. We have made templates out of cardboard and sent them to Marvin for special jobs like yours. I suggest you contact local Marvin dealers and see if one of them has the expertise to handle this. Or contact Marvin on their website and see if they can recommend someone.

sis1

#3 Post by sis1 »

While searching the web for my own wood replacement windows, I found this site: http://www.woodwindows.com/

Could be expensive, although who knows, it may not be aas expensive as the upgrades from the larger manufacturers. Looks like they have a great deal of experience with historic preservation, although I can not vouch for that.