casement windows in bad shape

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rosie

casement windows in bad shape

#1 Post by rosie »

I've found out the casement windows (2 side-by-sides) at the front of our house are in REALLY bad shape(discovered by our painter) Is there any way to replace just the window itself,as he suggested (ie the part that swings out) and the crank, without replacing the whole frame? And if so, where can I find these parts? (Money is DEFINITELY an issue!!) I'm in MA. Any info would be appreciated!! thanks!

casement window in bad shape

#2 Post by Guest »

Rosie, what is the make of the window?any numbers on the window or frame?

rosie

#3 Post by rosie »

They're Anderson windows-old, probably from when the house was built, @1962 or so. I can't see a model #, but they're 48" H x 15 5/8W. I found out these sashes ARE available (eg thru Home Depot), but I'm concerned the window frames may be out of square- I'm having a difficult time measuring corner to corner, but they appear to be ~2/8" or more out of square- should I try to order just the sashes and hope for the best (and the crank mechanisms) , and, if so, is this a job we could do ourselves? Any advice?? thx!!

Dean S

#4 Post by Dean S »

Rosie,

People make a lot of mistakes when they're trying to save money and it winds up costing more in the long run. This doesn't apply to just windows or home improvement in general but just about everything.

Without seeing the windows I can only guess that you'd be throwing good money after bad trying to repair these windows. The sash are rotten, the house settled making windows out-of-square and the mechanisms are shot. The frames are the only things remaining and they can't be in very good shape. What would a repairman do? Try to shoehorn a sash in that opening and plane the edges down then put new hardware in that wasn't designed for your window. It's like trying to put a new Toyota engine into an Edsel. Save up your money until you can afford to do the job correctly.

rosie

#5 Post by rosie »

thanks for the advice! I was coming around to that conclusion myself... :?