Comfortworld Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
George Degard

Comfortworld Windows

#1 Post by George Degard »

Has anyone had any dealing with Comfortworld windows thru World of Windows? Should double hung window have full or half screens?

Bombadil

#2 Post by Bombadil »

Just had an interesting conversation with Window World about their Comfortworld windows.

If you look at their web page, you will see cutaways of each of their windows with a numbered legend beside of them, describing each feature.

If you go to Alside Windows home page, you will find the exact same cutaways and descriptions. The Comfortworld windows match them right up the line, with the 4000 appearing to be exactly the same as the Alside Excalibur, and the 6000 exactly the same as the Ultramaxx - even with the same pocket sill design.

It has been widely acknowledged on this and other forums that these windows are Alsides. Window World also states that their windows are the exact same windows as a leading manufacturer who has installed millions of windows, i.e. Alside.

However the store manager adamantly denied it, stating that their windows are made by "M&I Windows." He said it was "vicious internet rumor" that their windows are made by Alside.

It was an entertaining conversation. But he didn't convince me, unless Alside has granted remanufacturing privileges to M&I. Which may be true.

He also insisted that the 4000 was equal in quality to the 6000 (even though on their own web page they point out that it uses a heavier & larger vinyl extrusion) and that the 6000 was only used for certain odd size windows or people seeking more security (pocket sill). This argument surprised me because the 6000 sells for $30 more and you'd think he'd push the higher priced window. It has been stated in this forum many times that the Alside UltraMaxx is a better window than their Excalibur.

However they do not offer an equivalent to the Alside Sheffield, which most like better than the UltraMaxx and usually costs about the same.

Bombadil

#3 Post by Bombadil »

Have to admit that I was dazzled by the prices from Window World.

Consider this:

I have a double-wide window, 74"x54, which has two double hung windows in it. The estimate from Home Depot using their version of the Simonton 5500 was $1150 installed and wrapped with a lifetime warranty.

The estimate from Window World, using their ComfortWorld 4000 (Alside Excalibur?) was $400, installed and wrapped with a lifetime warranty.

Now the ComfortWorld window is no match for the Simonton. If I were to buy both from a local home center, it would cost me about $150 more per window for the Simonton.

So out of the $750 price difference, $300 is explained by the cost of the windows. The other $450 is all markup by Home Depot. As HD sub-contracts out the installation, that money is not really going for a custom, top professional install.

So the prices from WW are enticing, too bad they don't offer a good solid window as an option.

George Degard

Windows by World of Windows

#4 Post by George Degard »

Had 12 windows of different sizes installed about 2 weeks ago. They were the 4000 Series Comfortworld Windows. I don't much about windows but they appear to meet the sales pitch that they gave me. Now I have to admit I won't see much savings during the summer since I had solar screen on top of sotrm windows which had cut my electric usage by 25% but these windows should help me save during the fall and winter moths and they sure look better than my previous window. Additionally, the brighten up the whole house and look very nice from the outside. The local company (World of Windows and Siding located in Grand Prairie Texas did one hell of a job, and you or would not have even knew that they had been here unless you were here watching the taking out of the old and putting in of the new windows. A fine job I must say. And not to mention the final price of $3475 for 11 windows and one 2-lite slider agood deal I do believe, highly recommend these people for windows in the Fort Worth/Dallas area. :lol: 8)

Bombadil

#5 Post by Bombadil »

There is no arguing with the price for sure.

For example the 6000 window, which appears to be an exact clone of the Alside Ultramaxx, is $219 installed, any size, in double hung format. That's with clear double strength glass and an Intercept spacer, and no grids. It's another $59 for low-E coating and argon. That's not a bad window for $278 installed, aluminum wrapped, and with a lifetime guarantee on both the window and the installation. I think it's another $30 if you want grids.

The 4000 (Alside Excalibur) is $30 less.

If one of those windows meets your requirements, then I can't imagine anyone beating their price. And if you check this board's archives, and other similar boards, you'll find that usually, these Alside windows don't receive the harsh criticism that lines such as the American Craftsman (built by Silverline) as sold at Home Depot. Amazingly enough, an American Craftsman / Silverline 8500 double hung window usually sells for about $200 without installation.

Thus if the Excalibur/4000 is the equal or better than the Silverline 8500, then you are getting your installation free. That's how the prices work out. Amazing.

TheTruth

Re: Windows by World of Windows

#6 Post by TheTruth »

You do realize that your entire lifetime warranty, for all your windows combined, is only $250. Good luck.

George Degard wrote:Had 12 windows of different sizes installed about 2 weeks ago. They were the 4000 Series Comfortworld Windows. I don't much about windows but they appear to meet the sales pitch that they gave me. Now I have to admit I won't see much savings during the summer since I had solar screen on top of sotrm windows which had cut my electric usage by 25% but these windows should help me save during the fall and winter moths and they sure look better than my previous window. Additionally, the brighten up the whole house and look very nice from the outside. The local company (World of Windows and Siding located in Grand Prairie Texas did one hell of a job, and you or would not have even knew that they had been here unless you were here watching the taking out of the old and putting in of the new windows. A fine job I must say. And not to mention the final price of $3475 for 11 windows and one 2-lite slider agood deal I do believe, highly recommend these people for windows in the Fort Worth/Dallas area. :lol: 8)

windowrep

#7 Post by windowrep »

the windows you got are 139.00 from alside. if price is what you are concerned about, you got a good deal. throw in a hot dog with ketchup and away you go. happy as could be. please post back here in 2 years and let us know how it is going. all the sagging and warping that you will encounter is normal. just remembere a few dollars more now would have saved you all the trouble. hope to hear from you in a couple years.

Bombadil

#8 Post by Bombadil »

Interesting that such negative comments show up now, when if you search all of the archives of both the new and old boards, no one is this negative on the Alside Excalibur. And nearly all of the comments on the Alside Ultramaxx are that it is a medium to slightly better than medium quality window, one that has been around for over a decade with good results. With the qualification that many aren't thrilled by its old design incorporating a pocket sill.

In fact, many have recommended the Ultramaxx/6000 as a nice upgrade option from such windows as the Home Depot American Craftsman line of windows. And you can find several people who had them installed and really liked them.

Literally hundreds of private contractors recommend and install these same Alside windows. I've seen quotes on the Ultramaxx of around $500 per window from private contractors.

I'm not sayinig they are great, or even very good, windows, especially the Excalibur, but the comments were much more positive before Window World started offering them at much lower prices.

I will have to check on that $250 warranty limit. If true, and it well could be, then that is no warranty at all. Their on-line warranty page mentions no such limit.
http://www.windowworldinc.com/company/warranty.shtml

And as to "for a few dollars more" that's what I've been trying to find for several weeks now. If I can get the Ultramaxx installed for $219 a window, then exactly what better window can one get for just a few dollars more? Let's say, for $275 a window, which is over 25% more. Or for $300 a window (installed), which is over 35% more. Or even $350 a window.

I'm serious, I'd love to get a better window than the Ultramaxx for $350 per window installed.

JWS

#9 Post by JWS »

Just something to ponder that may or may not apply where you live:

You will find at least a hundred times on this forum the statement from many pros and homeowners alike that the installation is the most critical part of the window replacement process.
Where I live the WW dealership only pays their installers $30 per window, and that includes wrapping the outside casings with aluminum.
Compare that to what the going rate is here for a qualified experienced installer who gets paid in a range of $95-$115, and some red flags should come up. What is the background of these installers that they would work for a third or less what they could make everywhere else?
Could it be that maybe no one else will hire them? Or maybe they did work for many of the other companies and didn't make the grade? One thing is for sure, none of the great installers I know in my area will work that cheap.

All I'm trying to say is to be careful. If it's a too good to be true price compared to all the established window companies in the area, then there is definitely a reason why.

Bombadil

#10 Post by Bombadil »

I agree that their installation charges are so low that it does send a red flag.

That's sort of what I was pointing out before when I illustrated that the windows are almost installed for free, given what you would pay for them from a home center.

And, as I've pointed out before, it is frustrating as a buyer that while paying $30-$50 per window for installation is so low that you are wary in going there, that the next alternative up appears to be to pay $300 a window. I have quotes and have spoken to 7 contractors in all. Two were cut-rate outfits where the installation was in the $30-$50 range, everyone else was in the $275-$350 range.

Most products and services have very gradual pricing increments. If I'm disatisfied with the quality of a $30 product, then I consider the $50 product, or $80, or $125. Perhaps that doesn't exist in the windows installation industry.

I do accept that improper installation on a product that will be exposed to the elements for 20 or more years, would likely have serioius consequences.

George Degard

Re: Windows by World of Windows

#11 Post by George Degard »

TheTruth wrote:You do realize that your entire lifetime warranty, for all your windows combined, is only $250. Good luck.

George Degard wrote:Had 12 windows of different sizes installed about 2 weeks ago. They were the 4000 Series Comfortworld Windows. I don't much about windows but they appear to meet the sales pitch that they gave me. Now I have to admit I won't see much savings during the summer since I had solar screen on top of sotrm windows which had cut my electric usage by 25% but these windows should help me save during the fall and winter moths and they sure look better than my previous window. Additionally, the brighten up the whole house and look very nice from the outside. The local company (World of Windows and Siding located in Grand Prairie Texas did one hell of a job, and you or would not have even knew that they had been here unless you were here watching the taking out of the old and putting in of the new windows. A fine job I must say. And not to mention the final price of $3475 for 11 windows and one 2-lite slider agood deal I do believe, highly recommend these people for windows in the Fort Worth/Dallas area. :lol: 8)
Sounds like sour apples, from the job I personally saw done, these were not fly by nite installers working from the temp line out of home depot, They did a fantasic job and I bielieve after the price was good comparable to the $12,000 or $1000 per window that the big companies like Champion wanted for the same window(s). Lowe's did a"job" on a friend's window project, didn't even caulk the windows(left it to the owner to do). I guess I will know in a couple of years. By the way the windows were made by Associated Materials, Inc.

windowrep

#12 Post by windowrep »

like i said before your windows are $139 at alside. associated materials and alside are the same company.

George Degard

#13 Post by George Degard »

windowrep wrote:like i said before your windows are $139 at alside. associated materials and alside are the same company.
May be that is right in Ohio but installed windows from a company has to have a profit margin somewhere and I can't fly to Minnesota and get them myself. Maybe you can but I can't.

Bombadil

#14 Post by Bombadil »

If they are $189 installed, they would have to be no more than around $139. $50 for installation & wrapping is very inexpensive!

I suspect Window World pays less than $139 for them.

I believe the 4000's are around $248 installed when they are low-E coated and with argon. The $189 is for clear, air-filled glass.

windowrep

#15 Post by windowrep »

i am not following you. i said the window price [only] is $139. times that by your 12 windows and its $1668. total price of 3475-1668=1807. minus taxes of course. sounds to me the company did a materials times two. wait a minute what am i doing, this is way too much thought i am putting into this. i will repeat this again. i had alside windows in my house,i installed roughly 3500 of them and i live 2 miles from the plant. they will get you by, but dont expect big energy savings or years of problem free operation.