Mechanically fastened windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowshopper

Mechanically fastened windows

#1 Post by windowshopper »

I visited a store that sells and installs Alside windows along with a couple of other brands. The guy who spoke to me said he has been in the business over 20 years and he put 21 windows in his own rental property and used Alside Centurion. He said there was no reason to be concerned because they were mechanically fastened and that being that he is in the business that long and used them himself should tell me something. I don!t think I have ever seen anyone else recommend mechanically fastened windows. Are they really a bad thing to consider?

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Being in the trade for 30 years I'm totally against mechanical fastening. There are just some things you need to feel and control. If any part of that window is cracked from poor judgement it's trash. Nail fins are so thin it doesn't take much to crack it. Even if it's a small crack it can travel and penetrate the unit. This will open up the possibility of water getting into your home. Here in MN when the weather gets cold a mechanical device will destroy any vinyl product. In the South it may be a different story. I think todays trades are always trying to find short cuts and ways to go faster. If they can do it this way then more power to them. I know we will always hand nail our product. I would check with the window manufacturer and find out if this is acceptable before you let them use that method. If they stand behind it your good to go. If not you just spent a ton of money for nothing!!
Just a note to the wise. No salesman will ever tell you they installed something and screwed it up. They will always do the Eddie Murphy "TRUST ME". I know what I'm doing. It's up to you to see through them!! Hardest Part!!!

johnam

#3 Post by johnam »

Guy, I think windowshopper may be talking about a mechanically assembled window as opposed to a welded window.

johnmr12

quality of mechanically fastened windows

#4 Post by johnmr12 »

Windowshopper, the fact that a window uses mechanical fastening rather than welded corners doesn't make it a bad window. That one feature alone doesn't. However, if the window is mechanically fastened, it's a pretty good bet that it uses an aluminum spacer, block and tackle balance(if it's a double hung unit), thinner vinyl extrusions, a high U-factor, low R-value, etc, etc, etc. It would be like buying a new car with leather interior, chrome wheels, power windows and doors, but the radio only gets AM, and it doesn't have a cassette or CD Player.
Learn how to install vinyl replacement windows. Visit http://www.how-to-install-windows.com.

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

I don't know John. I would figure the welded vinyl would be much better than a fastened one. I would say it would be more like having no radio vs the DJ in your back seat. You would figure over time the constant use and movement of the product would create flex and cause the joints to loosen. Kind of like you see when the old school wood storm doors flex and sag. Then they install the cable to hold them square. I really can't say wnything without seeing the product though. In all fairness they may use some glues and other materials to keep it ridgid. So I would have to study up on it and form an opinion. I have never really heard or seen a window product done this way. So if it is, there must not be many doing it.

windowshopper

mechanically fastened wondows

#6 Post by windowshopper »

here is how it is stated on their site

features butt-joint reinforced corner construction

I am under the understanding that it is not fully welded.
If mechanically fastened is incorrect I am sorry.