Alside, Simonton, Soft-Lite and Sunrise

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jracks3

Alside, Simonton, Soft-Lite and Sunrise

#1 Post by jracks3 »

I'm replacing all the original windows in my home in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, IL. We have a picture window, 2 double hungs, 7 single sliders, 1 double slider, 1 patio door, 1 small bathroom casement, 3 basements sliders and 1 basement egress.

The lowest Alside and Simonton quotes are by a "one-man" contractor that we know does quality work. These are our only window choices through him. Best price, but we definitely don't want Alside, probably not Simonton either.

Quality-wise, does the increase in cost seem proportional to the increase in quality going with Soft-Lite or Sunrise? Those are our preference of those listed. I have a request in for a higher line than the Soft-Lite Classic. I imagine it will come in more than the Sunrise if switching to Imperial LS, although I was under the impression Sunrise is a bit more reputable and more years behind them than Soft-Lite. I also have a calls in to try for quotes for Okna and Kensington.

Advanced Ultimate 6300: $10,900
Alliance Hawthorne: $12,600
Alside Mezzo: $12,000
Alside Ultra Maxx: $9,500
Simonton (not sure of style): $10,500
Simonton Perfexion Platinum: $12,600
Soft-Lite Classic: $13,166
Sunrise (standard 'Sunrise' line, not Essentials): $14,206

TheWindowNerd

Re: Alside, Simonton, Soft-Lite and Sunrise

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would suggest the Imperial LS or higher also the Okna 800DX or higher.

theWindowNerd

jracks3

#3 Post by jracks3 »

So sounds like you prefer Soft-Lite over Sunrise, correct?

I was intrigued by Okna. I've only found one company that sells them and I'm having a hard time getting in touch with him. I will continue to pursue it.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Probably couldn't go wrong with the contractor guy on the Simontons either if you know his work. I'm just not a fan of the bulk on the upper end Simonton extrusions.

Can you see about your contractor getting Soft-Lites in the upper end (Imperial LS) that WindowNerd referenced?

jracks3

#5 Post by jracks3 »

Unfortunately, he only offered me Simonton when I asked about other options beside Alside. He told me about $1k more for Simonton, but I'm not sure which line that would be, which will certainly make a difference. I was under the impression Simonton was solid, but not that great either. This is our "forever" house.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Simonton is a "solid" window. Its just not the prettiest when you compare it to some of the other ones out there.

jracks3

#7 Post by jracks3 »

Yeah, I'm not crazy about losing more glass space and an overall bulkier/dated design. I also think I read their welds are pretty unsightly....maybe they've become better over the years. I'm trying to find the air infiltration rates for Simonton, but I can only find some performance data where that's not included.

Heard back about Soft-Lite Imperial LS. He didn't even bother quoting me. He just said moving up to that would come out more expensive than Sunrise noting Sunrise is more energy and efficient and quieter.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I can't much find it on their site anymore but the air infiltration rates where usually in the 0.11 - 0.17 range on a majority of the DH sizes.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

the simonton 5500 series has an air infiltraion rating of .17 . When you consider the fact that the higher end vinyl companies have air infiltration ratings of .04 and under, a .17 is high.

jracks3

#10 Post by jracks3 »

I thought it was strange and not particularly encouraging that I couldn't find Simonton willfully giving out the infiltration data. At least the 1.7 is better than .3 for Alside! They have a whole pamphlet on their site explaining air infiltration and all they say is that they meet the minimum testing level of .3 or less. I also found some older performance data sheets, but infiltration rates weren't listed.

I had someone call me about Provia and their performance data looks more on par with Sunrise so I think I'll look into them as well.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

jracks3 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:56 pm Yeah, I'm not crazy about losing more glass space and an overall bulkier/dated design. I also think I read their welds are pretty unsightly....maybe they've become better over the years. I'm trying to find the air infiltration rates for Simonton, but I can only find some performance data where that's not included.
Your thoughts are spot on. Not a bad window, but kinda bulky, dated, and the performance numbers are nothing to write home about.
jracks3 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:56 pm Heard back about Soft-Lite Imperial LS. He didn't even bother quoting me. He just said moving up to that would come out more expensive than Sunrise noting Sunrise is more energy and efficient and quieter.
This unfortunately is bad info. I like both of these windows to varying degrees, I sell neither at this point in time, but I can objectively say that the Imperial LS had superior performance in every thermal and structural metric when apples to apples options are compared. The Sunrise has good numbers with the exception of double pane glass in the dh's and sl's. For your area, you can choose either a climate appropriate glass option that does not pass Energy Star qualifications, OR choose an Energy Star rated package that is really not appropriate for your climate, as it will be rather dark, and have poor condensation resistance. Choosing triple pane negates that situation. Either way, the LS is measurably better in every way except that it has a little less glass area.

Randy

#12 Post by Randy »

HomeSealed is right, Soft-lite’s Imperial LS is superior in every way. Sounds like the contractor just prefer to deal with Sunrise.

jracks3

#13 Post by jracks3 »

Randy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 pm HomeSealed is right, Soft-lite’s Imperial LS is superior in every way. Sounds like the contractor just prefer to deal with Sunrise.
Thanks to both you for pointing that out! I really appreciate the feedback. I'll continue to pursue a quote for the LS with another dealer or two.

uncle eddie

#14 Post by uncle eddie »

agree. the ls is the better choice