Marvin Integrity or Andersen 100 casements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
keilux

Marvin Integrity or Andersen 100 casements

#1 Post by keilux »

I have been in the market for windows for the last year or so looking over my options and pretty much narrowed it down to the Marvin Integrity All-Ultrex and the Andersen 100series.

I currently have aluminum clad wood casement windows which are original from 1986, and are replacing with casements. I have total of 12 windows (5 of which are mulled, and 7 singles) as well as a sliding patio door. All of our current windows have rotting wood, some sashes under the aluminum clad totally or partially gone, paint faded off the aluminum, gaskets between aluminum and glass are shot and a lot of hardware failure, mainly do to rotted wood.

We live in Southwest Pennsylvania so we see cold winters, hot summers and your typical day/night temperature swings. We are looking for a casement window that's easy to clean, low maintenance, must have a white interior and a contemporary look. We have pretty much narrowed it down to the Andersen 100 series and the Marvin All-ultrex, both of these fit what we are looking for. We are trying to steer away from clad wood for those reasons stated from before and the fact we want a white interior and we don't like the look of the pure vinyl. I was pretty much sold on the Integrity All-Ultrex, however with the lack of a custom sized sliding patio door started to make me look else where, and I was not completely fond of the somewhat flimsy widow stops, but it could be over looked. So I happened to come across the Andersen 100 series Fibrex which look very similar and in some respects look better as well and looking at the architectural details look sturdy and well built, only questionable is the piece that holds the glass on the exterior side, where as it's a one piece on the Marvin.

Performance number are pretty close to the same for both as well. The glass package to my knowledge is the same Cardinal glass and in both cases looking at the Low E 272. In either case we would be finishing off the interior trim in a composite material as well.

I guess I am just looking for some feedback on these two windows, if anyone has considered the two, also in terms of durability, performance, longevity, overall fit and finish and how happy you are with the windows. As well as what made you decide on the window.

Lastly if any installers have feedback on these as I will be installing these myself with a nailing fin as I am replacing my siding at the same time.

Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Marvin Integrity or Andersen 100 casements

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't think you will find much feedback beyond what you have already arrived at.

Both are pretty good windows in the non-clad, non-wood, non-vinyl, composite arena of products.

Most would say that they occupy similar positions in the respective product line-ups and both are pretty solidly built and have good track records.

To me, this comes down to a personal preference on the visual aspect if you ask me.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Can't add much here. Both are solid, although both represent "niche" offerings in material which can lead to a higher price. Have you seen higher quality vinyl windows? You can find better performance for a likely lower price, and a similar look in white/white. I'd suggest taking a look at casements from Sunrise or Okna. Both are pretty nice looking, very slim lined (more glass area) and excellent performers. There are other great options as well, but those two stand out IMO in terms of looks and maximum glass.

If I had to choose between these two on your current list, I'd opt for the Marvin based on overall build quality (in my personal experience), and a material with a more proven track record (fiberglass over fibrex). Andersen is the darling of higher end builders in my neck of the woods, but I see far too many falling apart around 15 years. To be fair, that has not included the 100 series as that line has picked up popularity relatively recently.

keilux

#4 Post by keilux »

Thanks for the responses, toddinmn may I ask what you base this on? Any personal experience?

I have done a fair bit of homework on some Windows just looking to the pros for feedback from anyone who had them or installers, or just the professionals that deal with them on daily basis. I do agree the fiberglass probably has a more proven track record, but I cannot see the Fibrex being much worse it is after all 60% vinyl (I still kinda cringe at the Fibrex because of that, in regards to temperature swings, fragility and chalking). Although looking at the architectural details it appears the 100s are built alittle better, even though sacrificing alittle glass about an inch.

These are the windows I have looked into along with the quoted price (product only)

Andersen 100 $7.5k
Andersen 400 $12.5k
Integrity Ultrex $9k (no custom sizing on patio door)
Integrity wood-ultrex $10.2k
Marvin contemporary $15.8k ($4k of that is the patio door)
Sunrise $9k
Softlite $8.5k

I did look at the Okna, but has to be dealer installed and they want $30k. I honestly still didn't like the look of the higher end vinyls, looked cheap and plastic-y.

The prices of the Ultrex and 100 are on the lower end, and perhaps where people get the idea of over priced and a niche is who installs them. For example I got a qoute for Marvin Infinity and they want about $27k and the RBA came in at $33k after all there discounts, these both were last year at the start of my search.

The Marvin Contemporary are very nice and the aluminum will theoretically not break down but the interiors will need to be maintain and there is the added initial cost which the wife thinks is too high, and again with going with white interiors kinda defeats the purpose of going with the fine detailed look of wood. Bottom line I am looking for the best quality in terms of performance, maintenance, durability (NE extreme weather changes) and looks(imo), and I feel the 100 series and Ultrex fit that bill, after all I would think anything I get would be better than my 30+ year old windows..but I could be mistaken.

Anyone have input of the bug screens which increase viewing, are they better, worth it?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

From the interior standpoint, maybe the 100 and all Ultrex do fit that bill. Most folks find the all Ultrex a bit homely in the looks department and assuming that the window are factory finished and you don't have condensation issues, the white interiors should last 20 years in my estimation.

keilux

#6 Post by keilux »

What kind of condensation issues are you referring to? I will be applying my own jamb extensions, out of azek or similar, as they are not available in a 5-9/16" from factory.

As far as glass goes, we live southwest PA, half of the windows plus the patio door are WSW facing, see sun from about 11am til 1-2 before sunset depending on time of year. I'm torn between the Lo e 272 and 366 and not sure if it's just a trade off per the season. Given the location of the house in the winter the solar heating effect from the sun is beneficial, and obviously not so much in the summer.. I do like the added visible light from the 272, but like the higher UV blocking from the 366, which I would assume help with fading? We do have window treatments (mini blinds and curtains) and probably will continue with them after the new windows for privacy or add isolation from the extreme hot or cold. Is there a noticeable benefit of one over the other, and the lower U-value of the 366?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Condensation with regards to the wood interior. If you don't have any condensation issues now, you shouldn't with the newer and more insulated windows.

In PA, the Low-e 272 is the more appropriate glass schedule in double pane than is in the Low-e 366. The differential in fading will be unnoticeable in that comparison.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

keilux wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 pm Thanks for the responses, toddinmn may I ask what you base this on? Any personal experience?

I have done a fair bit of homework on some Windows just looking to the pros for feedback from anyone who had them or installers, or just the professionals that deal with them on daily basis. I do agree the fiberglass probably has a more proven track record, but I cannot see the Fibrex being much worse it is after all 60% vinyl (I still kinda cringe at the Fibrex because of that, in regards to temperature swings, fragility and chalking). Although looking at the architectural details it appears the 100s are built alittle better, even though sacrificing alittle glass about an inch.
There is nothing at all proprietary about mixing vinyl and wood flour/saw dust into a composite material. Yet, nobody else does this. If this material were superior to other options, that would not be the case... Not saying its trash, but its existence is to create separation and differentiation in a very competitive sales environment, not to be a ground breaking innovation in window materials.
keilux wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 pm
These are the windows I have looked into along with the quoted price (product only)

Andersen 100 $7.5k
Andersen 400 $12.5k
Integrity Ultrex $9k (no custom sizing on patio door)
Integrity wood-ultrex $10.2k
Marvin contemporary $15.8k ($4k of that is the patio door)
Sunrise $9k
Softlite $8.5k

I did look at the Okna, but has to be dealer installed and they want $30k. I honestly still didn't like the look of the higher end vinyls, looked cheap and plastic-y.
Of this list my choice would be the Sunrise, its a very nice casement. As WoW alluded to, most folks find the all-ultrex integrity to be more homely than something like the Sunrise, but certainly that is subjective.
keilux wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 pm The prices of the Ultrex and 100 are on the lower end, and perhaps where people get the idea of over priced and a niche is who installs them. For example I got a qoute for Marvin Infinity and they want about $27k and the RBA came in at $33k after all there discounts, these both were last year at the start of my search.
See my comments above. While fiberglass has some more appeal than fibrex, it too doesn't provide much in terms of game-changing innovation. This is where the "niche" characterization comes in. It's more of a sales tool, a new story to tell to set the product apart and justify a higher price. The irony of the fiberglass "story" is that despite the "strength" narrative pushed by Marvin, you aren't buying a 16' lineal of solid material. You are buying a fully function window using said material, and higher end vinyl units significantly outperform Marvin fiberglass in terms of DP/wind load, which is probably the best measure of overall strength that we have... Once again, not a bad product, just don't buy due to the hype.
keilux wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 pm The Marvin Contemporary are very nice and the aluminum will theoretically not break down but the interiors will need to be maintain and there is the added initial cost which the wife thinks is too high, and again with going with white interiors kinda defeats the purpose of going with the fine detailed look of wood. Bottom line I am looking for the best quality in terms of performance, maintenance, durability (NE extreme weather changes) and looks(imo), and I feel the 100 series and Ultrex fit that bill, after all I would think anything I get would be better than my 30+ year old windows..but I could be mistaken.

Anyone have input of the bug screens which increase viewing, are they better, worth it?
When sun and condensation exposure exist, I see the life expectancy of wood interiors around 20 years, give or take. Some are junk after 10. Some, with a good product, favorable conditions and disciplined maintenance can push 30.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have used the Integrity products, they are vey good. It would opt for it.

theWindowNerd

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Fibrex has been around longer than Ultrex and has a pretty good track record. I have seen more complaints on Ultrex.
Have not seen or heard of the problems Homesealed is referring to . Andersen’s typically have much better air infiltration ratings than Marvin’s poor ones. To be fair I have not seen any of Marvin’s reports on this , just going by what other pros here have said.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Here are some photos just to support my opinion. One is a 9 year old fibrex Renewal product where the wood grain interior has been destroyed by normal condensation and warranty coverage was refused. The other two show the cracked and excessively chalked vinyl exterior of 15 year Andersen units. Certainly these are not representative of all Andersen products, however these windows were not under undue stress in either case, and these and other similar cases have shaped my view of these products. Take this for what it is worth.
andersen defect.jpg
andersen defect.jpg
rba-iw.gif
rba-iw.gif (45.24 KiB) Viewed 7843 times
Attachments
andersen defect 2.jpg

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

Must have a pain to monitor the normal humidity levels over 9 years, I’m sure Marvin would have warrantied it.
The sill seems odd, and have never seen that before even on the 400 series which is the number one selling window in North America , fibrex is even used on some of the patio doors thresholds. The chalkiness is hard to see but I’m sure your right. You can check out Houzz, there seems to be much more Ultrex problems which is sold in much lower numbers. I’ll post up some failures of vinyl product you recommend when I find them.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

You two are quite humorous together.

Put me in the category of thinking it is like many of the other composite products out there. Nice in that it has some benefits of the solid construction, assembly of the window (i.e. wood-like construction options), and fit and finish.

That said, the performance appears to be average at best (nothing wrong with that but it certainly isn't revolutionary as it is marketed), can't accommodate triple pane, average warranty for such a "Lifetime" product, and marketed at a price that is unrepresentative of its actual value (in my opinion).

JD Power reports...really? Todd...we both know those are mostly crap in terms of a gauge of product quality. That isn't that far off from WW getting the better housekeeping seal.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

I would be In that category as well. My comments were never. In regards to there overall performance, warranty or or pricing. I think they do compete well with other products there main has in those categories though. When I said they were innovative it was pertaining to the material itself and that it was used through out most of there window lines and some of there doors. If they are making out of piss water, flour and plastic it even makes more innovative. As I said I think it’s in top 5 over the last 30 years. Game changing for them, the window industry no. For decking yes.