Low-e and green hue - help!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
erical62477

Low-e and green hue - help!

#1 Post by erical62477 »

We are in the process of trying to replace some of our windows. I am in Tampa, FL and have pretty stringent energy efficiency codes to meet. Note that I am NOT doing impact windows.

I would like to use PGT windows because our friends own a reputable window/door company and that is the brand they recommend. However, I can not stand the green low-e hue of the Solarban 70XL that is on the PGT windows (my neighbor had hers replaced so I've seen them in person). Another neighbor recently replaced their windows too and I do not notice the green hue so I called the company that replaced them and they told me the glass was Cardinal 366. Is there really that much of a difference in the low-e between these two glass manufacturers? Do I need to find a company that uses Cardinal?

My other option is to do the grey glass with the low-e through PGT but it makes my VLT .29. Our current old windows have some tint on them from the previous owners and when I compared the samples next to our current windows (over a piece of plexiglass in a broken pane), it actually looks lighter.

I really just don't know what to do.... except that I can not live with green looking windows. I know everyone says I'll get used to it, but I'm sorry, I don't think I will!

Pictures are of the PGT glass samples.

Windows on Washington

Re: Low-e and green hue - help!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ask them for a sample of glass with the the standard Low-e range and see how that looks. I don't even know if PGT will have that type of glass, but the less low-e = less green.

Cardinal Low-e 272 or standard solarban will be more like a 2 soft coat low-e and a bit less greenish.

erical62477

#3 Post by erical62477 »

Unfortunately I can't do anything besides Solarban 70XL or 366 to meet code. I did just find a dealer that can order the PGT windows with 366 where as the one I was working with said only Solarban. Why is this so confusing?!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

You will be hard pressed to notice a difference between lowE 366 and solorban 70. They are both triple silver low emissivity glass packages. I highly doubt you will notice any difference.

WindowsDirectCinci

#5 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

In my experience 366 is a little more clear than sb70. I would be a little hesitant to believe the dealer that said he can order the windows with either sb70 or 366. Most manufacturers carry one or the other for supply chain reasons.