Window Shopping Results... not really a question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
twc

Window Shopping Results... not really a question

#1 Post by twc »

I was looking for good, but not necessarily great/expensive windows. I originally was going to do about 35 windows but settled on 28 after deciding to wait on a sunroom and a shaped picture window over the front door.

I ended up getting proposals from 6 companies over 2 weeks for the Thermal Park Avenue, Revere Berkshire Elite, Sunrise Verde, Vytex Fortis, Okna 500 and Sunrise.

The Revere proposal was online, but quick and detailed. I'm fine with the window, price was good, my only issue with them was no sense of who is doing the installation and the quality of their work.

The 5 in-person sales calls all went well. No hard sales or other nonsense you read to be wary of in the blogs. Salesmen discussed pros/cons of ideas with picture windows, corner windows over a tub...

Interestingly, 2 of the companies who I thought had great promise, dropped the ball after that. No emails, no written proposal for days. I finally had to write them after 5 days asking for their quotes. The proposals I received 12 & 36 hours later were just total price with no detail, one didn't even have my name or a window count, one had it wrong. I guess the salesmen assessed me a no-sale (wrong) or was just not good at his job or maybe reflected the quality of the company overall. The Verde and the Fortis were crossed off the list.

The remaining 3 were very professional from beginning to end. Emails within 24 hours, detailed quotes, asking if I had any questions... They seemed to be quality companies with quality products.

I ended up narrowing it to the Okna and Sunrise based on my assessment of window quality and value. Plus the Park Avenue was a little dark for me (VT .40). In the end, I went with the Okna. Paid a little more, but hopefully bought better installation.

HomeSealed

Re: Window Shopping Results... not really a question

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

twc, you made the right choice, and if you happened to choose the install company recommended here I can assure you its a slam dunk. Even on product alone, the Okna 500 is a distinct tier above the Sunrise models in double hung form. A toss up perhaps in casement configuration, and the Sunrise dh's aren't bad IMO, but again, the 500 is a cut above. Good choice. Be sure to post back with updates, it can be very helpful to other consumers down the road, and of course validate the recommendations that you get as well. :D

uncle eddie

Re: Window Shopping Results... not really a question

#3 Post by uncle eddie »

I agree, although like toddinmn, I have a very low opinion of the sunrise dh. For the life of me I can’t figure out why some guys recommend it, it’s on the same level as Berkshire in my book. A flimsy window that gets above average ratings, but in real life nobody really knows how given it’s questionable construction. I’d probably go with something like a softlite pro if we are looking for that range, but I’d definitely pay more for the Okna