Window Replacement Help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ats1083

Window Replacement Help

#1 Post by ats1083 »

Good Thursday to all!

I have had many folks out to give me a quote from Renewal by Anderson to Window Depot and a few in between. All of my quotes are based on 9 replacement windows and 2 new windows. All double hung with grids on the top and bottom. Of course each one has the "best window" and "highest quality" installation. My estimates are as follows:

Window Depot - Alside Mezzo Triple Pane (yet to 100% confirm if the ThermD TG2 or ThermD TG2 ELITE)- $5,637.71
--ThermD TG 2 has a U-Factor of .22 and SHGC of .26 while the ELITE has a U-Factor of .22 and SHGC of .19

Zen Windows - Joyce Lotus Plus Double Pane - $7,051.48
--U-Factor .27 and SHGC of .21

Zen Windows - Soft-Lite PRO Triple Pane - $7,129.28
--U-Factor .22 and SHGC of .26

Local Company - Provia Endure ComforTech DLA - $4,900 (one man show has been installing Provia for 5 years)
-- brochure says U-Factor .27 and SHGC .27

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Replacement Help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Said the same thing on the other board.

Soft-Lite is the more proven window in that line up, but I can't really comment on the install part of the equation.

ats1083

#3 Post by ats1083 »

Thanks sir for the reply. All of he companies have pretty good reviews on the installations. I think only 2 of them are BBB accredited and they were Zen and The one man show.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

ProVia Endure is a quality product. Newer platform, Super Spacer glazing, endless options, strong manufacturer.

ats1083

#5 Post by ats1083 »

I am torn between the ProVia Endure with the DLA-UV Glass (got a quote on it and it is just under $5,000) and the Zen Lotus Plus (Joyce Heritage Deluxe - https://www.joycemfg.com/windows/heritage-series/)

Joyce sounds new but have been around a while. Not sure they are $2k better than the ProVia Endure.

Thanks for your reply.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Their UV DLA set up is for knocking down too much UV penetration making rooms uncomfortable when direct sunlight attacks the window openings. Pretty much standard in Southern climates and by request or dealer recommended in certain cases in the North East (heating priority climates). It lowers the SHGC quite a bit and will make the glass darker if that's the desired goal. We use it sometimes when needed, however the regular DLA or triple is more popular in my area.

ats1083

#7 Post by ats1083 »

I have more months of using my AC than I do my heat this is why I was trying to knock down the SHGC a little bit and it’s less than $200 to go from the DLA to the DLA-UV.

I do wonder how much darker it would look though.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Standard Low-e does a very good job of cutting UV rays from the outset.

Where is the home located?

ats1083

#9 Post by ats1083 »

Nashville, TN

I think the ProVia DLA is a .27/.27

I should add that pretty much any window will be an upgrade as I believe these windows are original from 2000. I am the 3rd owner so not sure. I do know that when I bought the house I ha e several windows with seal issues and that was 4 years ago.

ats1083

#10 Post by ats1083 »

Delaware Mike wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:55 am Their UV DLA set up is for knocking down too much UV penetration making rooms uncomfortable when direct sunlight attacks the window openings. Pretty much standard in Southern climates and by request or dealer recommended in certain cases in the North East (heating priority climates). It lowers the SHGC quite a bit and will make the glass darker if that's the desired goal. We use it sometimes when needed, however the regular DLA or triple is more popular in my area.

Instead of upgrading to the DLA-UV, would it be better to just stick with the DLA and get the "double strength glass" as opposed to the single strength?

Appreciate all the help in this as it is overwhelming to say the least.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

I’d say the Endure if the installer/install is high quality.
Hard to pin down Zen, they are like window World where each dealer is independently franchised, not a fan but don’t have any concrete evidence not to recommend them.

ats1083

#12 Post by ats1083 »

toddinmn wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:33 pm I’d say the Endure if the installer/install is high quality.
Hard to pin down Zen, they are like window World where each dealer is independently franchised, not a fan but don’t have any concrete evidence not to recommend them.
Thanks. Yeah, I have thrown out Window Depot, and leaning towards throwing out Zen as I do not think they are worth the extra $1,400.

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

ProVia Endure double-hung with the default DLA-UV will have a .27 overall u-factor in double-glazed with a .20 SHGC.

ats1083

#14 Post by ats1083 »

Delaware Mike wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:27 pm ProVia Endure double-hung with the default DLA-UV will have a .27 overall u-factor in double-glazed with a .20 SHGC.
I got a quote on this Endure DLA-UV Single Strength Glass w/colonial flat grids at $4,984.18 (maybe this combination with double strength glass?) looks like it would be roughly $5,500
U-Factor .27
SHGC .18
VT .43
CR 61

The Endure with DLA Double Strength Glass w/colonial flat grids at $5,293.67
U-Factor .27
SHGC .27
VT .48
CR .60

The Endure with Triple Pane TLA Double Strength Glass w/colonial flat grids at $5,771.08
U-Factor .21
SHGC .23
VT .38
CR 69

I am not real sure on the single strength glass vs double strength????

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Based on all of the info provided, the Endure triple pane sounds like an easy choice. Probably the best window of the group, best performance, and it sounds as though the dealer is the most reputable. The price is the only thing that is a red flag for me as that price would put most companies out of business in quick order, however perhaps he is truly a low overhead, one man show. A little riskier than larger companies (an industry trade mag recently cited a delta of $2mil in annual sales as having a much greater likelihood of failure (if under)), but if these are the choices that you are stuck with, that one does seem like a winner.