Replacement on Vinyl Siding

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ats1083

Replacement on Vinyl Siding

#1 Post by ats1083 »

I have been told by 2 companies that they would basically remove my old window remove siding and install a new window to include a new nail fin and j-channel. Another company says they do not touch the siding and just remove old window and install the replacement and use some spray foam and aluminum coil around the windows. What is the proper way to install a replacement window or are both valid options if done correctly?

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement on Vinyl Siding

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How old is the siding?

ats1083

#3 Post by ats1083 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:18 pm How old is the siding?
First of all, thanks for all your responses.

The siding I presume to be the original siding. House was built in 2000.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Both methods can be correct, but those who removing the siding are offering a more time consuming and thorough approach and more costly. Would like to know what brands of windows and the cost. There are some type of installations in youre case that. I would definitely recommend removing the unit and siding .

ats1083

#5 Post by ats1083 »

toddinmn wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:26 pm Both methods can be correct, but those who removing the siding are offering a more time consuming and thorough approach and more costly. Would like to know what brands of windows and the cost. There are some type of installations in youre case that. I would definitely recommend removing the unit and siding .
I have a small local company that strictly uses Provia windows.

Just got a quote for the following on total of 11 windows (2 being installed in brick, 2 new construction, and 7 replacements in vinyl:
Provia Endure TLA Double Strength Glass for $5,771.08
Provia Endure DLA Double Strength Glass for $5,293.67
DLA single strength is $4,850.28
DLA-UV Single Strength is $4,984.18

I also have Zen Windows Quotes that said same thing on using nail fin and j-channel
Zen Lotus (Joyce Heritage) - $6,506.61
Zen Lotus Plus (Joyce Heritage Deluxe) - $7,051.48
Zen Lotus (Soft-Lite Pro) - $7,129.28

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

More detail on the current conditions of the home as well as on the specifics of the installs proposed would help here, however I'd echo the above sentiments that there are several ways that are acceptable per industry standards. Generally they can be ordered by preference based on the circumstances.

ats1083

#7 Post by ats1083 »

HomeSealed wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:17 pm More detail on the current conditions of the home as well as on the specifics of the installs proposed would help here, however I'd echo the above sentiments that there are several ways that are acceptable per industry standards. Generally they can be ordered by preference based on the circumstances.
Siding is original and built in 2000. No issues with siding around the windows or anywhere really on the house that is of major concern.

2 companies were going to just do a replacement window and use aluminum flashing around the whole window and caulk.

2 other companies said they would remove siding and install new windows with nail fins as they said that should be the proper install.

I just watch a neat video on YouTube about several replacement install methods. I am definitely doing the nail fin install. (https://youtu.be/AIcRrbyh-WE)

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Not correct to say that a nail fin is THE "proper" install. Just an option, albeit the most comprehensive option...

My preferred method in a situation such as yours-- IF the full frame with nail fin install is preferred-- is to cut back the siding as opposed to drop and reinstall. Just my personal preference, but this method allows the opportunity to add exterior trim boards around the opening for a richer look, and also decrease the likelihood for an issue with the siding, where a piece cracks in the process, or fade lines don't fall in the same spot as before, etc.

ats1083

#9 Post by ats1083 »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:12 pm Not correct to say that a nail fin is THE "proper" install. Just an option, albeit the most comprehensive option...

My preferred method in a situation such as yours-- IF the full frame with nail fin install is preferred-- is to cut back the siding as opposed to drop and reinstall. Just my personal preference, but this method allows the opportunity to add exterior trim boards around the opening for a richer look, and also decrease the likelihood for an issue with the siding, where a piece cracks in the process, or fade lines don't fall in the same spot as before, etc.
Going to figure it out this week, but think I am going to go with one of the companies who suggested the nail fin install. Thanks for your response.