okna 600 eco pro v sunrise restorations

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
randolphdio

okna 600 eco pro v sunrise restorations

#1 Post by randolphdio »

I had three estimates for replacing 24 windows in my house: The first was from HD, who offered Simonton 6500 for just under $18000. Anyway I looked Angie’s list and found two contractors with excellent reviews. The first contractor suggested Okna 600 series eco pro delux for just under $12000. The the second offered sunrise restorations for just under $22000. He also emphasized they did a more thorough installation than most companies. All three offer lifetime warranty on the installation and double lifetime on the windows. I guess the question is whether the sunrise are worth the extra $10000 as the Okna 600 a much inferior window. It seems the main difference is to do with structural strength

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: okna 600 eco pro v sunrise restorations

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Sunrise isn't worth almost double in itself. Although I prefer Sunrise over the other there are plenty of contractors and homeowners that would prefer the Okna.....I think most would agree the Sunrise Restorations is one of the more aesthetically looking windows out there, while Okna is known for pushing the limits in efficiency. But they both perform about the same. I would say you would notice 0% difference in performance in these two..... They are both nice windows and you'd be happy with either. The Okna 800 though would be Okna's top tier window and would make more since in comparing the two as Restorations is Sunrise top tier...the 600 is there mid grade but still better than most.

It's likely they aren't quoting comparable features/styles either as well as the installation... Is the Restorations dealer doing a full tearout? Are they utilizing the exterior brickmould option? The Restorations quote doesn't really seem to out of line from the little info we have, but the okna quote seems extremely low in almost every scenario. Cheap labor can cost you more $ in the long run

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

The Okna 600 deluxe beats the sunrise restoration in both Ufactor and air infiltration, although the restorations is a good window. The okna 600 is a bit stronger in my opinion and in no way inferior to sunrise. A lot of installers complain about the weak sill on the restorations. The okna eco pro is a good looking window and very strong and comes with structural reinforcement as well as a sill interlock.
The sunrise contractor seems to be pricing you for a “new construction install “. Some companies push that kind of install whether a home really needs it or not. That is their business model and they make more money doing it.
If you dont need a new construction install and the okna contractor is using spray foam insulation, he probably knows what he is doing. I cannot fathom paying an extra 10k for the sunrise over the okna.
Home depot does not use a good window in my opinion ( simonton) and their pricing is always very high and kind of silly, its all over the map.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

There nothing at all inferior about the Okna, it’s better in pretty much every performance metric. This would be a toss up if casements IMO, but if double hung, the Okna is better and more stout. If it happens to come in at the better price, that’s just a bonus, although I do agree that there’s probably something that’s not apples to apples here, probably the installation type... I should add that I don’t think the Surise is bad, it’s still top tier. Kudos to you for having a couple of nice choices
Last edited by HomeSealed on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

WindowsDirectCinci

#5 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Ricknez wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:17 pm The Okna 600 deluxe beats the sunrise restoration in both Ufactor and air infiltration, although the restorations is a good window. The okna 600 is a bit stronger in my opinion and in no way inferior to sunrise. A lot of installers complain about the weak sill on the restorations. The okna eco pro is a good looking window and very strong and comes with structural reinforcement as well as a sill interlock.
The sunrise contractor seems to be pricing you for a “new construction install “. Some companies push that kind of install whether a home really needs it or not. That is their business model and they make more money doing it.
If you dont need a new construction install and the okna contractor is using spray foam insulation, he probably knows what he is doing. I cannot fathom paying an extra 10k for the sunrise over the okna.
Home depot does not use a good window in my opinion ( simonton) and their pricing is always very high and kind of silly, its all over the map.
So Okna 600 .02 air infiltration rating beats Restorations .02 air infiltration rating? interesting I should just quit

Ricknez

#6 Post by Ricknez »

Agree, the Okna contractor probably quoted you for a replacement install which is fine if they are using foam and the sunrise contractor quoted you for new construction. Im guessing the Okna contractor didnt think new construction was neccessary. You could always ask the okna guy a quote on new construction if you really need it.
We normally dont push new construction unless we think the customer really needs it. Thats the way we do business.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

They are both great windows.

In this case, one of them is not 10K (nearly 2X) better than the other. At a minimum, they are performance equals in some manners and in others, the one windows PG and mill thickness are better. If I get to choose, I prefer a window with an interlock as well.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

I’d take the Okna eve if it were more. Not fond of the Sunrise frame, sashes , lift rails. or interlock. Would love to see there air numbers on a unit that is a few years old.

uncle eddie

#9 Post by uncle eddie »

toddinmn wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:38 am I’d take the Okna eve if it were more. Not fond of the Sunrise frame, sashes , lift rails. or interlock. Would love to see there air numbers on a unit that is a few years old.
You forgot the worst part which is the sill. Always need to screw them to prevent frowning which is not desirable. I’d encourage anyone to lift up two comparably sizes units of these options. That sunrise sill will rainbow on you like it’s made of rubber

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I consider the sill part of the frame, I would screw the head up as well.

uncle eddie

#11 Post by uncle eddie »

toddinmn wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 pm I consider the sill part of the frame, I would screw the head up as well.
I’d consider the lift rail and interlock part of the sashes, but that’s just me. We agree there is room for improvement on that window. I also like to screw through the head

WindowsDirectCinci

#12 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Funny because we install about 170 jobs per month of Sunrise and don't see the problems your all claiming and never hear of them except on repeat from the 3 or 4 Okna dealers on this forum.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

I don’t sell Okna.just sharing my personel thoughts from my personel experience.

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

Doing almost 6 jobs a day is pretty impressive, have to admit I’m a little jealous.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

Hmmm, out of the roughly 20,000 or so Windows per year not one problem we “Okna” dealers speak of?