Replacement glass for vinyl windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Inquirer

Replacement glass for vinyl windows

#1 Post by Inquirer »

Hi,

Do you think it would be worth replacing glass in windows vs buying new? They said they would have to see the windows but I asked for a ballpark figure for an average window and they told me about $120 and they have a 5 year warranty. The current windows are Gorell 5300 double hung, double pane windows installed in 2005. Nothing really wrong with the windows that I can tell with my inexperience other than seal failures. Last I knew there were several that needed replacement. It would save a lot of money if replacing glass is a reliable option but they are 14 years old.

HomeSealed

Re: Replacement glass for vinyl windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

You are probably the most qualified person to answer that.
What is the condition of the windows without regard to the glass seals? Look good? Operate well? Sealing well? ....

That was a pretty stout, well built window, so if the only issue is the glass seals, you would probably not be making a bad choice in addressing those only as opposed to full replacement. I'd just be careful to ensure that you source some quality glass in terms of the low e profile, spacer system, etc. $120 per may be a little on the light side depending on the size of these, but not too far off in my experience.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

You are going to be the best person to know this.

I would be very interested in the warranty provisions of an IGU that is not installed by the supplier.

Seems odd to me that Soft-Lite wouldn't want to have some sort or program to work with the prior customers of their acquired brand.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

$120 per sash or window?
I could see the difficulty with dealing with Soft-Lite but would be worth investigating

Inquirer

#5 Post by Inquirer »

This is a local glass shop with a great reputation. I am not sure if it is sash or window. They said the warranty is from the factory whoever that would be and I don't know the specifics. I don't remember what price was based on but he said it would be best to see it. I asked if he could just give me a ballpark figure for an average window and he said around that price. I will take a window to him when I have time and find out more specifically about the price and warranty. Thanks for the replies.

uncle eddie

#6 Post by uncle eddie »

That has to be per IGU. Never seen two igu's installed for $120.