Pella 350 vs Sunrise Restorations Prices

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
booluc12

Re: Pella 350 vs Sunrise Restorations

#16 Post by booluc12 »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:21 pm I understand you have Pete coming back out early next week. He can go over the glass options for you, there are close to a dozen options and show you the different samples. Feel free to reach out to me directly also.- Chris
Thanks Chris! I've loved working with Pete. Yes, meeting with him on Wednesday and intend on going with Sunrise and Windows Direct.

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

barhoram wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:38 pm
surface coating is for heat (sun) reflection, correct?

If condensation is an issue....would one be better off just not going with the surface coating on the glass and forgo that advantage?
It can be, however in this case the interior face coating (surface 4) has a primary purpose of reflecting the heat from the home's interior back in, preventing heat/energy loss. By putting that coating on that interior surface however, it keeps that interior piece of glass and the air space from warming as much (not a bad thing in theory), however that makes the surface colder and therefore will condensate sooner.

Should you forego this interior surface 4 coating? In cold climates, in my opinion, yes. Should you forego any low e coating? Absolutely not. Low-e is probably the single biggest improvement in window technology since insulated glass. A single coat on either surface 2 or 3 (inside the IGU) will yield a U value between .24-.27 on most of the better products on the market.

Lastly, and once again, it sounds like you are on the right track with that product and vendor. I'd trust the guys over at Windows Direct to explain your glass options and what they best fit would be for your home, although again, I do love triple pane personally.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 on the surface observations.

If you live in a cold climate...skip it and invest in the triple pane. We aren't even nearly as cold as some regions and on the handful of windows that we installed with it, we got calls this year.

uncle eddie

Re: Pella 350 vs Sunrise Restorations Prices

#19 Post by uncle eddie »

I agree, skip Pella and go for triple pane

petras52

#20 Post by petras52 »

In the May issue of C/R, surprisingly the Pella 350 DH took the top spot by a wide margin among the 10 windows tested. The competition included Simonton, Anderson, Jeldwen, and lesser brands. The 3 tests performed were: 0 degree wind resistance, 70 degree wind resistance, and rain resistance. The pella 350 was the only one that scored top marks on all three tests. I know Pella is not highly regarded here but I just wanted to pass along the info.

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

Among that field...maybe it should take top spot.

Put it in a field of windows that are actually good, it won't sniff the podium.