Pella 350 vs Sunrise Restorations Prices

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
booluc12

Pella 350 vs Sunrise Restorations Prices

#1 Post by booluc12 »

I've done so much research and had so many window consultations that I'm going cross-eyed and can use the help of this forum. Putting in 19 replacement windows: 15 double hung, 1 picture, 2 quarter round, 1 half moon

Narrowed it down to Pella 350 vs. Sunrise Restorations.

Pella 350 - $17,400
U-Factor 0.28
SHGC 0.25
Air Infiltration 0.15
DP 30
Pocket sill

Sunrise Restorations - $18,870
U-Factor 0.24
SHGC 0.19
Air Infiltration 0.04
DP 50
Sloped sill
Neat Glass

Other than the better air infiltration on the Sunrise, they are relatively comparable and both seem to be good choices. I'm not sure Sunrise is worth $1470 more. I've generally read favorable reviews on Sunrise and Windows Direct who will be doing the install. I'm also an existing customer of Pella who already replaced my front door and patio door and I've had good experience with them.

Advice?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Pella 350 vs Sunrise Restorations

#2 Post by masterext »

The sunrise is So Much better its not even close. Not only is the ufactor better, the air infiltration rating is much better, and the structural rating is alot better. The pella 350 is not a good window and their pocket sill is cheap/ outdated design. Pella doesnt come close to sunrise restorations, okna 600 or 800, or soft lite elements. If you narrowed it down, sunrise restorations is the choice by a mile, not even close. The 350 pella is not an upper end window.
The only thing with sunrise is the particular glass package of .24 is a hard coat lowE on surface 4. If you want a lower ufactor ask for triple pane or just get standard sunrise lowE. Dont focus so much on Ufactor, the air infiltration rating and structural ratings tell the real story. I think okna has the lowest ufactor with double pane glass and both okna and soft lite elements have the lowest air infiltration rating.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the home located?

Based on that comparison, I am 1000% with masterext on this one. Its a slam dunk (for the reasons he mentioned) for the Sunrise.

booluc12

#4 Post by booluc12 »

Thanks for the input! This is very helpful.

I’m located in Cincinnati, OH. House is 20 years old. I would expect to live in it another 10-15 years.

I anticipated the feedback that the Sunrise is better. I was trying to get a sense of whether it is $1400 better. Based on the feedback, it sounds like the answer is yes?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Based out of Ohio...I would say you have the pick of the litter when it comes to great vinyl windows. Sunrise is a solid choice. Soft-Lite (Imperial LS and Elements) and Okna (EcoPro or EnviroStar) are solid options as well.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Yes, the Sunrise window is worth that and more in this comparison. A pocket sill double hung should be avoided at all costs... Pella does a nice job polishing the welds on that window, but that is the only appealing factor IMO. I'd also agree with masterext on the glass choice, I'm not a fan at all of surface 4 low e coating in cold climates, but perhaps your location in OH is just warm enough where its not as much of a concern?... if a fair portion of your winter months are under 20 degrees, I'd think twice. While it would move the price in the opposite direction you'd like, triple pane glass would be a very worthwhile choice IMO.

Even if the window was the same, I'd also contend that another $1400 on a $18k purchase is worth it to deal with a known commodity for an installation company. Windows Direct contributes to the community here and by all accounts to my knowledge, runs a good operation.

booluc12

#7 Post by booluc12 »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Very helpful!

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

The pricing will be closer if you get rid of the Surface 4 coating in the smSunrise as well.

barhoram

#9 Post by barhoram »

is the surface 4 coating something generally not recommended with Sunrise?

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

It’s doesn’t matter the Window.

booluc12

#11 Post by booluc12 »

How would you guys rate Sunrise to Gilkey? That is another local option for me.

Gilkey - $18,115
U-Factor 0.26
SHGC 0.20
Air Infiltration 0.08
DP 70
Pocket sill
366 low-e
Neat Glass

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:07 pm It’s doesn’t matter the Window.
Exactly. This is an option that is climate dependent due to the fact that while the bump in u value is nice, it decimates condensation resistance. In areas where condensation is not a big deal (typically in warmer regions), it is not as much of a consideration.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

booluc12 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:04 pm How would you guys rate Sunrise to Gilkey? That is another local option for me.

Gilkey - $18,115
U-Factor 0.26
SHGC 0.20
Air Infiltration 0.08
DP 70
Pocket sill
366 low-e
Neat Glass
My experience with the line is limited, but once again, pocket sill (non-starter) and 366 glass which is dark, cuts shgc precipitously, and is intended for warmer climates... You may be noticing a trend here, and that is that windows that aren't able to achieve a great U value with climate appropriate glass will trick you into thinking its better by using features like solar gain glass (366 and the like) and the surface 4 coatings.

barhoram

#14 Post by barhoram »

HomeSealed wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:01 pm
toddinmn wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:07 pm It’s doesn’t matter the Window.
Exactly. This is an option that is climate dependent due to the fact that while the bump in u value is nice, it decimates condensation resistance. In areas where condensation is not a big deal (typically in warmer regions), it is not as much of a consideration.
surface coating is for heat (sun) reflection, correct?

If condensation is an issue....would one be better off just not going with the surface coating on the glass and forgo that advantage?

WindowsDirectCinci

#15 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I understand you have Pete coming back out early next week. He can go over the glass options for you, there are close to a dozen options and show you the different samples. Feel free to reach out to me directly also.- Chris