Single-Hung - looking for good one to meet opening size.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bobert

Single-Hung - looking for good one to meet opening size.

#1 Post by Bobert »

We've been shopping for windows and keep running into salesmen pushing casements over the single-hungs we have now. They claim we won't pass inspection in the bedrooms upstairs, need bigger opening size. They seem to be more expensive. One told me I could do Milgard Styleline or Atrium but those all have pocket sills. The windows are about 35 5/8 x 59 3/4. Folks here seem to say to avoid pocket sills. Does anyone know of a good brand that has a thin frame and is not a pocket sill that would work? I am in San Antonio.

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Single-Hung - looking for good one to meet opening size.

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Generally speaking egress building code the opening has to be 24" high x 20" Wide AND 5.7 sq ft. When your window opens now does it meet those requirements? The size of you window shows that it is super close to meeting that. Although I would check your local building code to see if there are any additional requirements or exceptions.

You may be able to gain an inch or 2in either direction by doing a full tearout or new construction type install as opposed to an insert replacement.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would check with local code. There is usually a "grandfather" in the code that means if you aren't changing anything else, the window that you built the home with (stylistically) can qualify. It is different from region to region as well as dependent on what floor it is in. I would measure the opening size and then reach out to the local code enforcement.

Bobert

#4 Post by Bobert »

When it is opened, the current aluminum window opens to 26 inches tall by 34.25 inches side (6.18 square feet). The house is brick and the bedrooms are on the second floor. The sales rep said they would remove the old window frame and insert the new window from the outside. I called the city and spoke to an inspector and he mentioned the 5.7 number. I told him we were replacing single hungs. He said there were brands that would but would not tell me which ones. Again, i don't mind casements except for the higher price if we have to but I was looking for a single-hung with a sloped sill. NT Window told me they would not be close to meeting easement - said their opening would be about 2 inches short and not enough area. Is the pocket sill a problem in a climate like San Antonio that rarely gets below freezing?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pocket sills are a bigger issue with rain vs efficiency in this case.

Have you looked at other aluminum windows in your region? Don Young makes a fairly nice window and if you are pulling out aluminum, the DY aluminum should meet egress in this case.

Sometimes the aluminum windows can have very minimalist frames and therefore meet egress where other windows might not.

Is this on the first floor?

Bobert

#6 Post by Bobert »

This is the second floor. We had some of our sliders replaced with vinyl already after they had failed seals and are happy w/ the temp improvements in those rooms to get the rest done. We want vinyl to match. The casements were quoted at $50 more per opening than the single-hungs. The other room with single hungs is the living room and it has a front-door so egress is not an issue there. I noticed their casement had no weep holes. So I guess that would be better for rain? Someone said here that pocket sills can get frozen and split from the ice expanding.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sloped sills, assuming similar air and structural performance numbers as they will vary from brand to brand, is preferable over a pocket sill.

For the $50 offset, I think you just need to go with the casement unless you can get verification from the county that you are grandfathered in.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

It seems absurd to let $50 be thebdruving factor, but 50 bucks is 50 bucks I guess.
I’d be more concerned about keeping a uniform look with the house , casements typically have a similar look to the sliders. I’d consider making the living room casement As well but it’s hard to say without seeing.

Bobert

#9 Post by Bobert »

Good point about silders looking like casements. I think it would add a modern look to the house. We have one awning window and love the crank style plus it seems less drafty than any other window.

The casements won't work well in the living room as they would swing out onto the covered front porch where we have benches and chairs. Since it is a covered porch, those two windows never get rained on so the pocket sill there may not be an issue. The one slider that is now on the front was two mulled single-hungs. The back is all sliders as is the right side. The left has an awning now and a small single-hung in the bathroom we were thinking about another awning window - it is over the commode and hard to reach.

I noticed on the city's permit site that few companies are pulling permits. I am just seeing them pulled by Sears, Home Depot and Renewal by Anderson. The city website doesn't mention windows require permits specially. I called and they said replacing one or two windows that are non functional or have broken seals doesn't require a permit but doing a whole house replacement does. They offer on-the-spot permits for electrical, plumbing, and mechanical, but a remodel approval takes 1-2 weeks.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

You could change the 2 living rooms windows to 1 slider and maybebe recoup your 50 bucks!
Hard to get a read on your permit questions, the questions and answers are all over the place.
Keep in mind that sliders are pocket sills , so it’s not the end of the world, just an Outdated design for vertically hung windows.

royaltywindows1

#11 Post by royaltywindows1 »

I would take a look at the Andersen 100 series single hung. It may not be what you are looking for, but its worth a shot :)

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

I would not bother looking at the andersen 100 since its flimsy and cheap looking. Far too many higher quality windows out there.
I also never heard of a permit being required for replacement windows. Sometimes even building departments are confused and give false info. How can a building inspector possibly inspect a replacement window? They do get to make money off the permit though.

WindowsDirectCinci

#13 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

We have a few townships in my market that require permits. They never visit the job site, it's basically a revenue stream for them with the $100+ fee and an increase in taxable property value

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

I have only had 1 city in my state that did not require a permit for replacement windows. Inspectors always come out and check for tempered glass , smoke and CO2 detectors according to IBC code. Every city I work in does not require meeting egress code unless new construction or the foot print of the room has changed. The window can be the same type of window as long as it is the maximum size that fits the opening. That means you can replace a double hung with a double hung, but they would not allow to replace an existing casement with a double hung in rooms that need egress. I would check with your local city building Official if you are in doubt .
I would not consider the 100 series Andersen flimsy, the looks are subjective but I think look pretty good And many would take the look over any vinyl product. If I could get them for what I pay for vinyl I would sell a boat load of them

Bobert

#15 Post by Bobert »

We decided just to upgrade to casements for the upstairs 3060 windows. We will do single-hung in the living room as we got a front porch that would interfere with casements. To measure, I had difficulty squeezing my Texas-sized behind through the existing aluminum windows to scaffolding I was using to measure. And those met egress. Plus the looks and functionality of the casements looked like an nice upgrade.