Help with my brand alternatives in Youngstown, OH

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JamesMSnyder

Help with my brand alternatives in Youngstown, OH

#1 Post by JamesMSnyder »

My home is an Amish built Cape Cod style built approximately 1949 or 1950. It is fairly well insulated but has all original Andersen windows from that time.
All of the top high end brand installers I could find are an hour away. Below is what I came up with locally

Alside latest Window World variant model 6000 something or other Have they been updated from years back?
They seem capable of competitive specs. I question whether Window world can do a top notch install. I would be afraid to use them due to some customer reviews.

Pella seems mediocre dated paying for the name

Polaris ?

Simonton ?

Sprouse A West Virginia company. I can't find any reviews or specifications on them

Thermal or Thermal Industries from Pittsburgh installed by Window Depot.
The local window depot seems to get some decent Angie's list reviews. I just don't know if these windows are any good. Might be a good install of a crappy product?

Vinylmax ?

Vinylume A local manufacturer I know nothing about

The Okna and Sunrise dealer who is 51 miles away is willing to sell me product and let me drive off with it but that doesn't really do me any good. I am disabled and require a professional install.

Windows on Washington

Re: Help with my brand alternatives in Youngstown, OH

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The TI window isn't bad in that comparison.

Decent numbers.

JamesMSnyder

#3 Post by JamesMSnyder »

W.O.W. Am I correct to assume that all else being equal (I know things never are) that that is the brand you would go with?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Polaris line up is pretty good as long as you stay with the upper lines. Of the ones that you have had listed and didn't have a "?" next to, the TI was the best.

I would definitely entertain a Polaris ThermaWeld Plus quote in your case.

JamesMSnyder

#5 Post by JamesMSnyder »

What's the difference between the Polaris thermal plus and the ultraweld?

also
Are thermal industries and thermal the same company? The one in Pittsburgh is used by Youngstown Window Depot.

JamesMSnyder

#6 Post by JamesMSnyder »

I didn't see an option to edit my post. Oh well. Thermal windows and doors site is Thermal industries. Thermal Industries seem to have decent ratings unless you get their cheapest line.

I found this on the Polaris triple pane ultraweld. https://polariswindows.com/ratings.html
It looks like maybe I want UltraWeld 8420 Double Hung with energySMART ultimatePLUS2 option.
They seem to have a slight edge specs wise. I don't know what if any difference I would notice between the 2 in the long run.

WindowsDirectCinci

#7 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

IMO Polaris Ultraweld is the best of the bunch by a good bit. Im just not a fan of their windows aesthetically but they're well built. I did a factory tour of Thermal a while back and the Park Avenue window is a nice window and extremely similar to the Polaris Thermal Plus. I'd probably recommend both of the Polaris lines over the Thermal. I recently nosied around at a Home & Garden Show and played with the Sprouse window and my conclusion would put it at the very bottom of your list, even without knowing anything about Vinlylume. VinylMax is made in my backyard in Cincinnati they have about a dozen different lines and I haven't been that impressed with anyone of them aside from the Sherwood which has a cool interior wood feature but is still a mediocre window.

1. Polaris Ultraweld
2. Polaris Thermal weld plus
3.a Thermal
3.b Simonton
3.C Alside
I wouldn't even consider the rest.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Thermal 9500 series is a very nice double-hung series vinyl product. It's pretty good looking and has a ton of features and nice touches. It is very similar to the ProVia Endure and Aspect series and could be considered a 2nd cousin to their version of that platform from the same vinyl extrusion platform. I have for the last 5-years installed this series as alternative price drop window to some of the more popular OKNA, Soft-Lite, and Sunrise series windows which tend to cost more price wise. Now that Thermal has had like so many price hikes, it's sad to say that this line is now the odd man out in regard to value with my business. Quality control with Thermal has been hit or miss with my experience with them.

JamesMSnyder

#9 Post by JamesMSnyder »

I wonder which Polaris this one is equivalent to? https://www.universalwindowsdirect.com/ ... es-windows

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Kind of looks like the Thermalweld Plus (i.e. the upper lines).

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

I also think thats the termal weld plus. The park avenue by Thermal Windows is a pretty good window and beats the thermal weld in the looks department. Park avenue comes standard with double strength glass and self cleaning glass.

uncle eddie

#12 Post by uncle eddie »

I'd avoid Thermal IMO. The bones of the window are solid like Delwarae said, but Thermal seems to be filing bankruptcy or reorganizing annually and the quality control is not impressive in my experience