Replacing aluminum windows with vinyl

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cc01b83

Replacing aluminum windows with vinyl

#1 Post by cc01b83 »

I'm in the middle of getting all my original aluminum windows (from 1995) replaced with vinyl (Burris AC) on brick-veneer exterior. I've noticed that the main steps they do are:

1. Pulling out the old aluminum window
2. Chiseling off excess mortar so it's flush with the brick
3. Foaming the sides
4. Inserting replacement vinyl windows (making sure it's level and operable) (Burris AC windows)
5. Foaming and caulking

It doesn't seem like they are installing any flashing or flanges. I live in Dallas area.
Does it seem like they are missing any key steps? I do have some concerns on water protection against the home around the windows.

I'm getting very paranoid that the install is not very good so was hoping to get some confirmation.
Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing aluminum windows with vinyl

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a pretty standard retrofit install and would be normal in that type of construction.

The fact that they are foaming and chiseling off the weeping mortar is a good sign to be honest.

Bobert

#3 Post by Bobert »

They could use some Protectowrap on the sill, but your installer is doing it better than most around me in South Texas. You also are probably missing a step - they should be screwing the new window in place. The screws goes into the stud. They should not be drilling into the bottom, only the sides. The screws are critical.

WindowsDirectCinci

#4 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

As others have stated seems pretty standard. IMO using flashing tape on the sill or anywhere else is moot point on that application. Its not necessary or feasible to using nailing flanges when replacing on brick openings

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

The fact that they doing a two-step foam application is exceptional (in Texas). The vast majority of companies just caulk the windows in. Based on the fact that they are doing that, I’d say you’ll be in good shape. Don’t stress.

cc01b83

#6 Post by cc01b83 »

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the comments. I think I was about to drive my wife insane from my freak-out.

I will say, after watching them install a few more windows, they don't always foam before they caulk. So maybe more like 1 step foaming. Either way, it sounds like that is still pretty good though.

Thanks again!

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Flanged windows sized correctly to the rough opening cannot be utilized on a retrofit project with brick facing if the brick was run to the perimeter around the old aluminum windows without trim boards. Flashing of the sill would be a nice touch, but if you watch videos of that step being performed on Youtube, you would see that that it's more intended for a "rough framing" type of new construction application with the face of the sheathing below the rough sill being accessible.

Sounds like you're in good hands.