Low-E Glass failure and "scratches"

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ianz

Low-E Glass failure and "scratches"

#1 Post by ianz »

We had our old wood windows replaced with ViWinTech 1500 series windows with Low-E Argon. After our first very cold night we noticed strange ice formations on some windows:

The windows with the ice also fogged when the temperatures warmed. The rep from ViWinTech agreed they were defective and sent for warranty replacement. I also noticed that the defective panes exhibited degradation of the low-e coating and was able to identity more failed windows by looking for degraded low-e coating:

As I looked into this I noticed all of the windows seem to have fine lines some worse than others within the middle glass if you shine a flashlight on them.

I was starting to think that all of the window coatings were defective and there should be no scratching or lines visible in the coating between the windows. However, we got one new Andersen E-Series window and lo and behold:

So what's going on here? Clearly the windows with "yellow haze" are defective right? Should I expect to see fine-lines when shining a flashlight or the sun is shining directly through low-e glass? Are all of these windows actually defective? It seems odd to me that brand new windows would show any "scratches" or imperfections in the coating when illuminated with a flash light, but it also seems unlikely two different brands would show same defect?

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Low-E Glass failure and "scratches"

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

To be honest I’ve never looked through a window with a flashlight to see imperfections. I’d put the flashlight away and look at it normally. Generally speaking all glass has flaws and the industry has standards to what is acceptable and what is not. (I believe the defect must be visible to the naked eye at 7-10 ft away) some manufacturers have more stringent requirements) I generally replace anything that is visible to the naked eye, although sometimes get pushback from manufactures.... in regards to the low-e that hazing if visible without the flashlight looks like it needs replaced.. if you can’t see the lines/defects without a flashlight then I’d say it’s fine

tru_blue

#3 Post by tru_blue »

Those gold colored spots look consistent with a softcoat Low E layer that has been applied to the wrong side (side 1 or 4) of the glass, or a softcoat Low E that is correctly located between-glass (side 2 or 3) but has experience seal failure. I'm not sure WHAT is going on with all of the scratches or rub marks.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Seal failure. Should be covered by warranty.